The 5th dimension

alfa

QUOTE(alfa @ Mar 7 2007, 09:28 PM)

The teenagers want music; they listen to music, they have theirs favorite songs, they want new songs, they want to change the songs, to compose others…

The solution for them is a M-LabVIEW. A LabVIEW only for music, not expensive, with a controls palette only for music…

I believe National Instruments will sell a huge number of M-LabVIEW programs.

Call me Alpha, but I think this is the first time he has written something that sounds a bit normal... :blink: .

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Mar 9 2007, 01:31 AM)

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 9 2007, 07:55 AM)

Don't apologize Ton - this is the place to rant!
:D

Ton, as soon as I read your apology I had to try to look up where your rant was, since reading a good rant with it's resultant ROTFLOL is almost as cathartic as writing the rant in the first place. So I heartily agree with Chris, never apologize for a good rant, unless the real intent of your apology is stealth advertising to draw more attention to the rant ... :shifty:

Oh yes, 2nd cup is in hand as I type, so:

Coffee, the Elixir of Life. Googling on "history of coffee" (in quotes) brings up over 115,000 entries, which is appropriate since we have coffee to thank for the prominence of the most prestigious modern insurance and banking companies and is the second largest international export after oil.

The invention of the expresso machine ranks up there with the greatest inventions of all time. During one of my former lives, on a nuclear submarine (no it wasn't yellow), we came up with a more fitting acronym:

post-932-1159825841.gifM.A.G.N.I.F.I.C.A.D.

Manually

Actuated

Gastronomic

Nirvana

Inducing

Fluid

Infusive

Coffee

Aquafication

Device

One of my lifetime goals is to make a pilgrimmage to the place of the world's first coffee shop, Kiva Han in Constantinople. I grew up in Washington State and have already been to the original Starbuck's in Seattle's Pike Street marketplace. I could go on and on about coffee, but my third cup is waiting, LabVIEW work is calling and we must now return to our regularly scheduled channel of waiting for our next installment of "The Chronicles of Alfa".

post-932-1159825841.gif

P.S. In an expression of social responsibility, uncharacteristic for an otherwise conservative capitalist such as myself, I'd like to make a shameless plug for an upcoming documentary on the plight of Ethiopian coffee farmers contrasted with the bega-bucks* of Starbucks and others.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5158Black Gold: The Movie

*Bega for billions, not the usual millions

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ Mar 9 2007, 07:03 AM)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=5we&q=%22history+of+coffee%22&btnG=Search' target="_blank">Coffee, the Elixir of Life. Googling on "history of coffee" (in quotes) brings up over 115,000 entries, which is appropriate since we have coffee to thank for the prominence of the most prestigious modern insurance and banking companies and is the second largest international export after oil.

P.S. In an expression of social responsibility, uncharacteristic for an otherwise conservative capitalist such as myself, I'd like to make a shameless plug for an upcoming documentary on the plight of Ethiopian coffee farmers contrasted with the bega-bucks* of Starbucks and others.

I hadn't heard that coffee was the second largest export after oil. Not too surprising, though, as I had read the related factoid that the coffee industry supports fully 1% of the world's population. I imagine the megabucks of oil are handled by a much smaller workforce. I wonder if there is any other single industry that compares in that regard...

For anyone who is interested in the plight of the Ethiopian coffee farmers (and of those in many other coffee-producing regions), you can look for Fair Trade beans that make an attempt to address this situation.

Cheers,

Dave (coffee-aholic, but managing to keep it to 1 good-size cup a day!)

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but on a sort of traditional wedding/party in the Netherlands (esp. on the countryside) you finish the night with coffee and a sandwich... :thumbup:

Just came back of a 12 1/2 wedding year anniversary with beer and coffee :thumbup: (no sandwich though)

Ton

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ Mar 9 2007, 04:53 AM)

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5182

...right, only a few month away and my brain already begins to blur... might also be a result of the n-dimensional trips one has to do while reading this topic...

QUOTE(alfa @ Mar 16 2007, 04:41 AM)

I like n-dimensional trips !

To be more helpful, you really need to give some examples. Which trips did you enjoy the most? Were they the 1-dimensional trips? Or do you prefer the 3-dimensional trips?

Also it would be good to know if you required special preparations for certain values of n.

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Mar 16 2007, 01:32 PM)

To be more helpful, you really need to give some examples. Which trips did you enjoy the most? Were they the 1-dimensional trips? Or do you prefer the 3-dimensional trips?

Also it would be good to know if you required special preparations for certain values of n.

Maybe Alfa is implying that he likes all trips in n dimensions, were n is any given integer. Maybe even positve. I must say I agree, since I'd personally find it hard to fathom a trip in a rational, non-integer dementia (oops, I mean dimension) or worse yet, some "irrational" dimension...

:wacko::blink:

-Pete Liiva

Dick Chenney is a hunter.

The richest man in Romania invited for a hunting party: the owner of the Porsche company, an finance minister from Austria, Michael Sumacher...

In my book a hunter is at animal level.

I was thinking why people are killing other people or animals: because they SEE them as adversaries in the process of Evolution.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 19 2007, 07:20 AM)

;) Thanks for documenting this.

I think alfa is also legend and part of [wiki]LAVA[/wiki] history.... I'd be interested to know his story.

Be ware of invaders from the fifth dimension...

<center>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRauBV1e_vU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRauBV1e_vU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></center>

QUOTE(alfa @ Mar 19 2007, 12:03 AM)

I was thinking why people are killing other people or animals: because they SEE them as adversaries in the process of Evolution.

I swear "it was coming right at me!"

If you had 5 foot tall rats with horns jumping in front of your car and knocking over your trash cans, you would shoot them too.

I do not care what Walt Disney thought, deer are NOT cute!

Ben