Flashing windows if caller used to be transparent

Mads

Make a VI and in its Window Apperance Properties set it to run transparently (100%). Add some code in the VI to call a SubVI that will display its front panel when you click a button, and add a property node that sets the transparency back to 0% once the VI is running. Run the VI and call the SubVI...notice what happens when the front panel of the SubVI opens - the main VI front panel will flash, making the transision ugly. To see the difference, remove the "Window runs transparently" property, and the property node - and run again. Now you get the normal smooth transition.

The reason why I wanted to make the main VI transparent on startup is because I wanted it to call a splash screen (instead of the splash screen calling the main VI) and the main should then stay invisible (no startup flash either) until the splash screen closes (it would have been great if you could set a VI to open in a hidden state, why have they not added that to the list of options:-( ). There are ways to work around the problem so its no big deal in this case, however it bugged me...so perhaps its a bug(?):-)

• 7 years later...

Hi.  I am also struggling with this annoying "startup flash" behaviour too.  I can't seem to avoid it no matter what combination of transparency or modal preoprties I use.  Is there any sort of workaound to this?  The LV run-time system appears to open the FP of the startup VI and show it for a brief millisecond before it is started.  Any workarounds here?  My goal is a simple fade-in splash screen, too.