How to implement the style of Preference Dialog of LabVIEW 8.2?

In LabVIEW 8.2 , The Preference Dialog Appears Like Below;

post-356-1164898630.png?width=400

In the directory of resource\dialog\PreferencesDialog you can find the PreferenceDialog.vi, the UI looks like the image as below:

post-356-1164898736.png?width=400

and in the directory of \resource\dialog\PreferencesDialog\PreferencePages you can find all PreferenceDialog pages, such like prefPage_BlockDiagram.vi look like the image as below:

post-356-1164898841.png?width=400

so I guess the PreferenceDialog.vi embodied the page Vis User Interface,When user select one item, the PreferenceDialog.vi embody the selected page vi realtime, and I think this may be implement by subPanel, But I can't realize it. Any one know the secret of PreferenceDialog? thanks a lot?

By the way, this is one way to implement plugins archetecture?

In the same directory, there's also a template to build your own pages (i guess), called pageTemplate.vit with an unlocked diagram. it's window title is "Use VI Window Title as Category Name" :)

you'll probably be able to figure out how the dialog works from that. it has this comment in the "PanelClose?" event case:

"This is useful during development,

so you can run your page VI without

the dialog framework.

When running in the frame VI's subpanel,

you should never get a panel close event."

so I guess the PreferenceDialog.vi embodied the page Vis User Interface,When user select one item, the PreferenceDialog.vi embody the selected page vi realtime, and I think this may be implement by subPanel, But I can't realize it. Any one know the secret of PreferenceDialog? thanks a lot?

By the way, this is one way to implement plugins archetecture?

In the same directory, there's also a template to build your own pages (i guess), called pageTemplate.vit with an unlocked diagram. it's window title is "Use VI Window Title as Category Name" :)

you'll probably be able to figure out how the dialog works from that. it has this comment in the "PanelClose?" event case:

"This is useful during development,

so you can run your page VI without

the dialog framework.

This is very nice of NI, I think they did this on purpose (really). I haven't looked at it yet but it sound very promising!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Ton

Yes, the example Andy shows is exactly how we used the subpanel in the Preferences Dialog. We use the listbox/subpanel plug-in architecture for a number of things in LabVIEW. The Library Properties Dialog is similar and contains different pages whether you have a normal project library or are using a special type of library like a class. The VI Analyzer uses a similar method to load all tests and display the individual configuration parameteres for each test.