A question to all the Aussies\Brits

Yair

My younger brother's love for Marmite has been brought up around the dinner table and I was just wondering if there are people who really eat the stuff. Personally, I was lucky enough to not get within smelling distance of any of it for at least 5 or 6 years, so I'm happy to say that I can't even remember if I ever tasted it, but I suppose it is possible that the Marmite which my brother liked is more bitter than Vegemite, so I suppose Vegemite could be "tastier". :blink:

My younger brother's love for Marmite has been brought up around the dinner table and I was just wondering if there are people who really eat the stuff.

204472539_566da5eb2d_m.jpg

Lots and lots of people eat Vegemite, and lots and lots of people eat Marmite, although I think they're in distinct camps (ie: Vegemite "users" would never eat Marmite and vice versa). Apparently, then aussie Marmite recipe is very different to the pommy one, the former having a stronger more salty taste (much like Vegemite) with the latter being much milder. The trick with Vegemite is to use it very sparingly - an extremely thin layer on hot buttered toast for example.

Personally, I can't stand either of them - they both taste like crap.

• 1 month later...
I'm a happy little Vegemite.

Vegemite puts hair on your chest, Marmite puts a mince in your step.

Hmm. My girlfriend of the moment is a vegemite devouring Aussie-chic. I now feel compelled to check her chest for hersuiteness (is that a real word?). A long exposure to living in the UK has, I confess, left me with occassional marmite cravings and I have found myself reduced to raiding Sally's vegemite pot for midnight feasts and I got to say that the Aussie version lacks the sophisticated tang of that from England's Green and Pleasant Land. But at least you chaps have evolved enough to have a taste for yeast-extract derived products with the texture of Meconium, which is more than can be said for our cousins across the pond.

Tally Ho, gallant knights, I'm mincing off for a spot of tea.

Syd ;)

367_thumb.jpg 366_thumb.jpg 365_thumb.jpg 364_thumb.jpg 363_thumb.jpg 362_thumb.jpg 361_thumb.jpg 360_thumb.jpg 359_thumb.jpg 358_thumb.jpg 357_thumb.jpg 356_thumb.jpg

I remember smelling marmite long ago when I was working in England, I was living with a familly with 2 little girls who couldn't imagine a lunch without Marmite, so evey morning, while I was having my salted butter toasts they were preparing Marmite-sandwiches...

What a smell !! :blink:

Back in France I tried to find Marmite... for fun, I wanted to put Marmite my sister's pot of Nutella :laugh:

Unfortunately, it appears very hard to find such a smelly stuff in France (cheese appart of course ;) ).

Tally Ho, gallant knights, I'm mincing off for a spot of tea.

Although not English (not that I'd admit it anyway due to the recent English national catastrophe), as a proud member of the Commonwealth, I do enjoy a good pot of tea. Admittedly, the best tea I ever had was in London - Earl Gray (it was the afternoon) with a slice of lemon formed part of a high tea with cucumber sandwiches, French pain d' chocolate, finished with a peaty highland single malt - wonderful!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...