English LV 7.1 app running slower under Chinese XP Pro...HELP

Hi,

We received a complaint from one of our customers today. We make sound analysis software which runs sequences in factories, etc. We have a Chinese client who told us that our sequence seems to run slower the more it runs in their factory. We were curious, because on the English Win XP there are no such problems. So we created a test machine with the exact same setup and ran the sequence. Well guess what? It does run slower the more it runs! In fact it seems to cycle. It begins fine with ~3.2s per measurement and then after about the 30th sequence, it start going up in time to about 4.5s and then to 5.5s and then drops back to ~3.2-4s and starts this cycle again. These would all be signs of a memory leak except for the fact that this does not happen on the english windows xp and nobody is having this problem except the people using chinese windows xp.

I was wondering if there are any experts or Chinese XP users out there who are aware of this problem and LV execution times. One more thing to note is that our software is in English but is being run on Chinese XP at a factory in China. I've heard that Chinese characters use 4 bytes per letter instead of 2 bytes like in English. Could this be a possible problem (we do a lot of string flatten/unflatten in our software)? Please help.

Hi,

We received a complaint from one of our customers today. We make sound analysis software which runs sequences in factories, etc. We have a Chinese client who told us that our sequence seems to run slower the more it runs in their factory. We were curious, because on the English Win XP there are no such problems. So we created a test machine with the exact same setup and ran the sequence. Well guess what? It does run slower the more it runs! In fact it seems to cycle. It begins fine with ~3.2s per measurement and then after about the 30th sequence, it start going up in time to about 4.5s and then to 5.5s and then drops back to ~3.2-4s and starts this cycle again. These would all be signs of a memory leak except for the fact that this does not happen on the english windows xp and nobody is having this problem except the people using chinese windows xp.

I was wondering if there are any experts or Chinese XP users out there who are aware of this problem and LV execution times. One more thing to note is that our software is in English but is being run on Chinese XP at a factory in China. I've heard that Chinese characters use 4 bytes per letter instead of 2 bytes like in English. Could this be a possible problem (we do a lot of string flatten/unflatten in our software)? Please help.

Hello,

I don't think 4 byte character will be related to the slowness of the measurement especially your software is English version... Maybe you can ctrl+alt+delete to bring out the task manager to see the memory usage and CPU usage, see when the measurement slows down, what happens to the memory usuage and is CPU usage rising?

Irene

Hello,

I don't think 4 byte character will be related to the slowness of the measurement especially your software is English version... Maybe you can ctrl+alt+delete to bring out the task manager to see the memory usage and CPU usage, see when the measurement slows down, what happens to the memory usuage and is CPU usage rising?

Irene

Yes ,I don't think that It's the Chinese OS make your program slower than English OS either. We use english verision of LabVIEW develop applications, and run it on Chinese or English OS, the effect is same.Check your program!

Hi,

Hi linnx,

I heard something that Chinese XP may not be optimized...but I am not sure. Why would ancle Bill doing that? :)

Hello,

Irene

Hi,

Perhaps I didn't state it clearly in my original post. Our application has been produced since 1995, the version I'm testing is absolutely stable on Windows XP English. I have absolutely no problems what so ever. It is only when the application is running on Windows XP Chinese, that this problem shows up. So this doesn't have anything to do with my application, else the same thing would happen under Win XP English. In fact I created a test machine with English and Chinese XPs dual boot setup on the same machine and whenever I boot into Chinese, this problem happens during sequence runs. Once again I repeat, this happens ONLY on the Chinese version of Windows XP. Btw multibyte characters do have something to do with it as this is something NI tech told me when I spoke with him. Perhaps Chinese XP has to recode everything to multibyte even if you're using English. That's just a guess but something in Chinese XP is definetly implemented differently.