Microsoft Robotics Studio Available

regisphilbin

What is especially interesting is the fact the Microsoft released a Microsoft Visual Programming Language together with the Robotic Studio. It's a some sort of dataflow language, not too similar to LabVIEW however. The UI of the language is slow. The programming seems to require some typing to define variable names and conditions. I think that the language is still more like an prototype, but it's interesting that there are alternative players on the market besides NI.

The Robotic Studio required .NET 3.0. This makes me beleave that the Robotic Studio is based on Windows Workflow Foundaition (WF), which is a kind of framework for defining workflow (read dataflow) languages. WF could open the door for the development of real OpenG language indipendent of LabVIEW.

Interesting about the visual language release. This thing targets the LEGO Mindstorms NXT as well (or at least the prerelease did). Since the basic LabVIEW patents expire real soon I also think this could be a slide by MS into G type programming. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it being anywhere near "open" G, as MS is seldom in the open camp.

Hmm, if this were "the other forum" I would wonder if it wouldn't get deleted ;)

that's why I do not post in the other forum :) - but it's a phrase from the Microsoft website, not from NI.

Whatever, I hold the opinion, if you want to program some piece of hardware, you have to have some skills. No programming language or code generator can replace the knowledge of a programmer. Neither can Express VIs replace the knowledge of how to correctly acquire data nor can a "robotics toolset" create