LabVIEW 8.20 projects won't open

konroh

Hey Guys,

I did some searching around the forum and at NI.com and didn't see anyone else that had posted about this...if anyone has please direct me to the thread...

Yesterday I created a LabVIEW 8.20 project based on an old 7.1 program I had been working on. Everything was fine. At the end of the day I made sure everything was saved, and all seemed fine. Today when I came in I loaded up LabVIEW, went to open my project...and... nothing...LabVIEW just closes, no error, no prompt...and it does it for any project file I have created. I can open the VIs for my projects just fine, but anytime I try to open a project LabVIEW just disappears. Everything was working fine yesterday afternoon...

Any idea how to fix this?!?

Thanks!

Doug

Just tried that...closed LV, deleted LavVIEW.ini, restarted LV, still can't open any projects :(

I had similar behaviour for one specific project a while back. I never figured out what was wrong. You may try the following. Open LV and create a new VI. Then close all windows visible such as tools, context help, all functions palette, controls palette etc. Last close the VI. Then try opening the project.

Hi Doug - can you post your project file (it's just XML)? It's possible that a file that it's looking for is missing, but that shouldn't crap out LabVIEW...

Hey Chris - the problem is occurring with all my project files...so I think it's definately something with my installation of LabVIEW. I am going to reinstall if I can't figure it out soon, and hopefully that will fix it, but I would like to know what happened so I can avoid having it happen again in the future...

I had similar behaviour for one specific project a while back. I never figured out what was wrong. You may try the following. Open LV and create a new VI. Then close all windows visible such as tools, context help, all functions palette, controls palette etc. Last close the VI. Then try opening the project.

Jimi - tried what you suggested - no change. It's strange, since I can work with individual VI's, but as soon as I try to open a project, LV is instantly gone, no warnings or errors or anything...and it was working perfectly at 5:00 last night when I shut the computer down.

I've had the same problems working with lvclasses.

To solve this, I had to open open one of the classes direct (dubble click on the .lvclass file).

Resave it and restart LabVIEW.

The problem I've had is that I don't know which lvclass file to open, LabVIEW crashes when I open

the wrong file.

The problem is caused by using public typedefs from other classes in a lvclass.

But there is soon a solution for these problems ...

//Mikael

Well, now the problem appears to be with MAX and with LabVIEW. And I am thinking it was MAX all along When I open MAX, and try to expand a tab (Software, Data Neighborhood, etc...) I get a dialog saying "MAX Database Connection Error"...I searched on ni.com and found 2 possible solutions, neither worked, so now I am going to search here. I already re-installed MAX once, but it didn't fix it. This time I am going to remove everything, then delete the National Instruments folder in Program Files, and then re-install. Anything else I should try first?

Thanks!

You never did post the .lvproj file. Might be something wrong in the XML. Might be fixable.

The problem seems to be happening with every project I have, so I doubt they were all somehow corrupted at once. See above, it seems I have a MAX problem, which I am guessing broke my projects...

ok...all is working now...I found on the NI forums, someone said to just delete the data folder in max, then restart the computer...you lose any custom tasks or channels, but at least everything opens now! So reinstalling everything was a big waste of time, but at least I know now...and projects open just fine now. Apparently projects are tied closely to MAX, but you would think an error would appear letting you know why LabVIEW just disappeared!

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it!

ok...all is working now...I found on the NI forums, someone said to just delete the data folder in max, then restart the computer...

Where on the NI Fourms was it? Was it in the bugs area, or just some random thread? It might be a good idea to put a link to this thread from the bugs area to try to get a CAR# for a fix.