IMAQ USB application

hi,

I created a small application using IMAQ USB. The application works great on the development machine but the executable I create doesn't run on the target machine (missing VI messages).

Now, I guess I have to include some extra items (dll's) but the application builder doesn't leave me any clue to what I need to include. I will always need the target machine to be available to find out what is wrong.

Consider that I don't have the target machine at hand. How can I make 100% sure that an application will run on the target machine ?

regards,

Marcel Janssen

Hi Marcel

You could use a virtual machine,to test this out.

The normal VMware players connect also the usb ports of your local machine so by copying a player from the VMware website you can create a Virtual Machine inside your development machine for quick testing.

have a "goed rutsch" into 2007

hi,

I created a small application using IMAQ USB. The application works great on the development machine but the executable I create doesn't run on the target machine (missing VI messages).

Now, I guess I have to include some extra items (dll's) but the application builder doesn't leave me any clue to what I need to include. I will always need the target machine to be available to find out what is wrong.

Consider that I don't have the target machine at hand. How can I make 100% sure that an application will run on the target machine ?

regards,

Marcel Janssen

I'm not sure specifically about IMAQ USB VI's, but for all other IMAQ VI's you need to buy a run-time licence and install the IMAQ run-time separately for your exe to work.

Neville.

See this thread on the NI Forums:

USB IMAQ & problems

Also, a low-cost solution might be Irene He's IVISION tool-kit.

Neville.

Well, I managed to install my application on the target machine but also get this error -1074396024 on my English OS.

It does indeed need the vision runtime engine which is a bit overkill. I will probably drop the use of IMAQ USB.

IVISION would be nice if it didn't need a runtime engine. I think a runtime engine is fine for heavy industrial applications, but for a small webcam application it is overkill.

I think a runtime engine is fine for heavy industrial applications, but for a small webcam application it is overkill.

Yeah - but the runtime engine is tied to the technology that you're using, and not the application you're creating :) Have you tried Pete Parente's Webcam Driver? It's a little experiment he did years ago, and might be good enough for what you're trying to do.

Yeah - but the runtime engine is tied to the technology that you're using, and not the application you're creating :) Have you tried Pete Parente's Webcam Driver? It's a little experiment he did years ago, and might be good enough for what you're trying to do.

Well, the license is fine if you only distribute your application in low volume. Otherwise it does make a lot of sense to create your own library.

I tried Pete's driver, but it doesn't seem to work with my webcam. I will try a little more though before starting to create my own solution in C.

Thanks.

-----------

Well, I just managed to get my application to run well on the target machine.

The Vision runtime by itself doesn't do the job although it should. By installing the whole development module and vision assistant it works, so indicating the IMAQ USB Vi's use something which is not included in the runtime engine.

I Forgot to mention that after removing the development module the application keeps working.

The following seems to work to get the application to run well on the target machine:

1) install the vision development module

2) install the vision runtime engine

3) install the IMAQ USB drivers

4) install the application

5) remove the vision development module (it is only needed to install the IMAQ USB drivers).

Now I think there must be a way to distribute the missing part of the IMAQ USB drivers along with my application. I already included two DLL's (directshow) but guess I'm still missing something.

Regards,

Marcel

IVISION would be nice if it didn't need a runtime engine. I think a runtime engine is fine for heavy industrial applications, but for a small webcam application it is overkill.

Hello Marcel,

There is no real runtime engine for IVision, at runtime you only need to distribute few DLLs which you will do anyway with any other toolkits or drivers. I think you may have confused and mixup the runtime engine with runtime license's fee. IVision charges runtime license fee, but only $20 each.

Irene