Custom Gage (last time, I hope)

For those who followed the previous thread:

http://forums.lavag.org/Custom-meter-revisited-t4500.html

and helped out, many thanks. As mentioned before, the customer always wants something more. Now we need a programmable mark on the gage. In our application, a sequence of events takes place when the needle passes a certain point on the gage. The customer wants a mark to appear on the gage at the beginning of a test to indicate this point. This mark needs to be able to change position from test to test, but NOT during a test. I am including a test routine showing how the gage currently looks and operates. This is actually a somewhat simplified version of what we came up with before as I cannot stand too much front panel overhead. The gage must being updated (other computations as well) within a timed loop going at 100ms.

Thanks,

Roy

Download File:post-1161-1167726853.vi

Download File:post-1161-1167726875.vi

Download File:post-1161-1167726907.vi

and helped out, many thanks. As mentioned before, the customer always wants something more. Now we need a programmable mark on the gage. In our application, a sequence of events takes place when the needle passes a certain point on the gage. The customer wants a mark to appear on the gage at the beginning of a test to indicate this point. This mark needs to be able to change position from test to test, but NOT during a test. I am including a test routine showing how the gage currently looks and operates. This is actually a somewhat simplified version of what we came up with before as I cannot stand too much front panel overhead. The gage must being updated (other computations as well) within a timed loop going at 100ms.

I think you can simply add an extra needle on your gauge and use that as your marker. Popup on the control and select add needle. The datatype of your indicator will change to a cluster so you'll have to do some rewiring in the BD, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Hiya,

I just ran into your list of posts, but I figured that I shall add my two cents.

I found that one could mimic an "absolute value" type gauge using (abusing) the "Text Labels" feature.

Text labels seem to have been intended for integer gauges, but work (-ish) for floating point. Each value on the scale is actually a text value at the appropriate scale value (e.g., ".8" at "-0.8").

Please look at the attached code for explain.

I agree with Mr. Habets about adding a second needle. You can customize (Advanced>>customize) the needle to look more like a marker. In the attached, I used a separate gauge to save from changing datatype to cluster. I painted the border decorations transparent so that it would appear as a single indicator.

I hope that helps.

-H

Download File:post-3343-1167763317.vi

Hiya,

I just ran into your list of posts, but I figured that I shall add my two cents.

I found that one could mimic an "absolute value" type gauge using (abusing) the "Text Labels" feature.

Text labels seem to have been intended for integer gauges, but work (-ish) for floating point. Each value on the scale is actually a text value at the appropriate scale value (e.g., ".8" at "-0.8").

Please look at the attached code for explain.

I agree with Mr. Habets about adding a second needle. You can customize (Advanced>>customize) the needle to look more like a marker. In the attached, I used a separate gauge to save from changing datatype to cluster. I painted the border decorations transparent so that it would appear as a single indicator.

I hope that helps.

-H

Thanks!! You guys rock. It's always the easy answers that elude you. There are already two gages (right and left). Don't know why I didn't think of just adding another with a static value for the marker and no scale at all.

Great solution.

Thanks.

Roy

You might want to look at enabling the color ramp and adding markers to your gauge. I tried to edit my XControl to add max and min value needles, a color ramp, some markers and colors.

I've attached the modified XControl. You would need to work a bit on the behavior of the control; I used NaN as a signal to reset the max and min needles. You could define properties or methods to reset these. You could also just use the gauge control properties as I did in the facade vi directly in your own code and dispose of the XControl all together.

Sorry I didn't have more time to finish it for you. Good luck! :thumbup:

(LabVIEW 8.0.1) Download File:post-949-1167832458.llb