variant data type

Hello everybody,

I don't use variant data type because I haven't got information about it and I don't know when, how and why use this kind of data type. So, can anybody say me something about the use of variant.

Thanks.

Here is a document that has some info on variants:

http://www.openg.org/docs/LabVIEW%20Data%2...01%20of%202.pdf

I don't use variant data type because I haven't got information about it and I don't know when, how and why use this kind of data type. So, can anybody say me something about the use of variant.

There is plenty of information about variant data type in LabVIEW help, you should read that trough the help files. As a summary variant data type is a datatype that can hold any other LabVIEW data type. So you can convert any LabVIEW data to variant and then back again. The benefit is (if you consider it a benefit) that you can by-pass strict compile time type checks and perform the type checks at run time. The drawback is exactly the same thing.

LabVIEW 8.20 is a object oriented programming language (LV 8.0.1 is not) and you can do many things with LV classes more safely that you would need to use variants otherwise.