Delayed control scaling on Panel Resize

This worked in LV 8.0 but does not work in LV8.2.

If you right-click on a control and select "fit control to pane" then you resize the panel, the control doesn't resize in real-time with the panel scaling. It only resizes after you have finished resizing the Panel. The proper behavior is to have the control resize dynamically as you resize the VI front panel.

This has been submitted to NI support.

post-2-1168853890.png?width=400

Response back from NI support:

You are correct about the difference between LV 8.0 and 8.2 behavior with

the "fit control to pane" function. However, I do not think this is a

"bug," but is known behavior. If you would like to report this to R&D to

be changed in future versions, I would recommend submitting a request to

the Product Suggestion Center

(http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EDA...6256FF0000238D5).

R&D pays close attention to suggestions made when they are developing new

versions of software.

So, my request from the LAVA community: If you care to change this back to the 8.0 behavior then send a feature request to the indicated link. The best solution in my opinion is to be able to select between both behaviours.

You are correct about the difference between LV 8.0 and 8.2 behavior with

the "fit control to pane" function. However, I do not think this is a

"bug," but is known behavior. If you would like to report this to R&D to

be changed in future versions, I would recommend submitting a request to

the Product Suggestion Center

(http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EDA...6256FF0000238D5).

R&D pays close attention to suggestions made when they are developing new

versions of software.

I would argue that this is a bug. I have come to expect the behavior that Michael mentioned (fit as you drag) in LV 8.0x. If this this not a bug, then where was it documented that this was changed? I don't remember reading anything about it in the upgrades notes. If there are 2 possible behaviors, then I would expect to be able to access both programatically. In my opinion, resizing the windows content after you have finished resizing the Panel is the wrong behavior. I can not, on the top of my head, think on any applications that follow this behavior in windows.

PJM

• 4 months later...

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Jan 15 2007, 03:42 PM)

I would argue that this is a bug. I have come to expect the behavior that Michael mentioned (fit as you drag) in LV 8.0x. If this this not a bug, then where was it documented that this was changed? I don't remember reading anything about it in the upgrades notes. If there are 2 possible behaviors, then I would expect to be able to access both programatically. In my opinion, resizing the windows content after you have finished resizing the Panel is the wrong behavior. I can not, on the top of my head, think on any applications that follow this behavior in windows.

PJM

I think I can see the logic about doing it the new way in order to avoid extensive UI redrawing during a window resize, but agree that the old behaviour was better. However it may have been a glitch in 8.0 because as far as I remember did earlier versions also not dynamically resize the front panel objects during window resize.

Unless I had only one control that needed to resize and nothing else that needed to move on the front panel I have always done this so far myself in the panel resize event case and that gives a very smooth effect, although I do need to test that this still works in LabVIEW 8.2.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Jun 7 2007, 11:26 PM)

I think I can see the logic about doing it the new way in order to avoid extensive UI redrawing during a window resize, but agree that the old behaviour was better. However it may have been a glitch in 8.0 because as far as I remember did earlier versions also not dynamically resize the front panel objects during window resize.

Unless I had only one control that needed to resize and nothing else that needed to move on the front panel I have always done this so far myself in the panel resize event case and that gives a very smooth effect, although I do need to test that this still works in LabVIEW 8.2.

Rolf Kalbermatter

The "funny" thing, is that all LV native window (read here: not build in G such as Error List, Profiler...) that can be resized express the expected behavior (Fit as you drag)...'

I also have tried to use the resize panel event, and while this work, this does not look as good as doing it natively. There is alway a small delay and your control size end up lagging behind and in my opinion this too does not look good.

PJM

I like the older behavior, but if you have several panes, locked controls to maintain proper GUI layout, etc, I can see where the redraw might cause flickering, etc, especially on slower machines.

Funny, but on one of my machines (LV 8.2.1, Win2K) I do not get this behavior, only a window outline, then eveything snaps into place on one resize. I'm obviously missing something simple here.

Just an FYI on this topic. Some good news. Here is some insider info which confirms that this will be resolved in a future release (don't ask where I got this from).

LVDev1: I have suggested to [LVDev2] that perhaps we make the special case of saying that we allow dynamic object sizing (objects resizing during the drag) only for objects that are set to fit the pane.

LVDev2: Due to many reports of this bug fix causing problems for many people, I've added a new option to allow the 8.0 behavior on a per-pane basis. On the pane's popup, select "Objects Scale While Sizing" to make the objects scale live when sizing the window. The option is off by default since there are many layout possibilities where problems accumulate very quickly when live scaling is on.

LVDev3: Confirmed fixed in [next version of LabVIEW].