Issue tracking tools

crelf

Hi All,

I'm assessing issue tracking utilities, and I thought "who better to get input from than my beloved LAVA members?" I'm looking for a feature-rich issue tracker with the following essential requirements:

• Multi-user
  • Multi-project
  • Web based
  • Open source
  • Good performance across distant networks
  • Inuative interface
  • Comprehensive reporting functions

Desired attributes include:

• Integration with Subversion

Know any? Got any experiences you'd like to share?

We use FogBugz. It meets all your requirements except "open source" and "Comprehensive reporting functions".

It's not open source, but it is not very expensive. I looked hard, and could not find an open source solution that met my needs (bugzilla, mantis, trac, etc). FogBugz doesn't have extensive reporting functions, but there is a third-party tool that provides reporting. Actually, Joel Spolsky (Fog Creek founder and Joel on Software blogger) says that too much reporting detracts from fixing bugs and other important stuff -- for example, if you measure project success by the lack of bugs or the rate they are fixed, then people will focus on not reporting bugs and closing them as soon as possible. That said, FobBugz does have good reporting and notification, where it matters, e.g., issues that are past due, etc.

-Jim

FogBugz doesn't have extensive reporting functions, but there is a third-party tool that provides reporting.

Thanks Jim - what's the name of the third party tool?

Actually, Joel Spolsky (Fog Creek founder and Joel on Software blogger) says that too much reporting detracts from fixing bugs and other important stuff -- for example, if you measure project success by the lack of bugs or the rate they are fixed, then people will focus on not reporting bugs and closing them as soon as possible.

I don't know that I agree with that entirely - I agree that it could happen, but I think that if it did, it would be more a representation of the corporate culture than the availability of reporting tools.

Thanks Jim - what's the name of the third party tool?

I don't know that I agree with that entirely - I agree that it could happen, but I think that if it did, it would be more a representation of the corporate culture than the availability of reporting tools.

Take a look at this knowledgebase entry: Run Reports in FogBugz. It contains an overview of the reporting features that FogBugz does have, why it doesn't have others, and links to a couple of third-party add-ons.

requirements:
  • Multi-user
  • Multi-project
  • Web based
  • Open source
  • Inuative interface

Desired attributes include:

Have you tried Bugzilla? (http://www.bugzilla.org/)

Its pretty easy to use, and seems to meet all your requirements (I don't know about Subversion though).

/J

I just recently setup an apache server on windows with multiple project subversion/trac. My head is still spinning from the installation. There were a lot of hiccups getting ssl (on apache) working, all the proper python modules for trac installed and working, and creating the svn access list for multiple projects/users. Some of the applications and their dependencies/modules have installers, but most of the work is done in config files and the command line. I must confess that I'm a windows user so it took a while to get used too. It did get frustrating when you found a deep chain of dependencies for the installations that all required python "easy installs"

Right now I don't know whether to be proud of my accomplishment or go sulk in a corner because my noob skill level with apache/python/trac/ssl/authentication etc. But now to try and answer your questions:

• Multi-user

Trac supports multiusers. I choose to utilize authentication via apache to support multiple users in each project. Inside the trac webpage (via the webadmin plugin) you can modify permissions etc for each user.

• Multi-project

Trac supports multiproject. You create a different environment for each project. You can then change settings in an ini file to point to different repositories and customize the webpage for the project.

• Web based

Yes

• Open source

Yes

Don't know. Just going across internet a few miles

• Inuative interface

Seems like it so far if you install the webadmin plugin (the next version of trac will have this built in)

haven't gotten this far yet.

Yes. Browsing of repository on the Trac webpage. Limit access / viewing to certain sections of your repository. I believe the Timeline webpage on Trac updates everytime you commit to Subversion

I've used Bugzilla and "Test Track" from Seapine but without source code control integration. They both worked very well. The interface of the version (3 years go) of Bugzilla I used was overwhelming and there was a (expensive) DBA behind it... It was a Solaris/Linux only environment. The searching-configuration feautures where extremely powerfull. Report functions very limited. Maybe this improved in the newest release.

Test Track is more polished and seems to be better for Windows developers (Visual Studio integration), it has everything you ask even more I guess. The price was no issue compared to the hardware costs of the project. Seapine software quality is very high I have never seen a bug in the bugtracker :-)

I would like to test Microsoft Team Server but the license price is very high. I don't think there is subversion support in Team Server.

Best regards,

Donald

Hi,

My second post :D

Though I am new to the Labview environment, this is an area I feel happy commenting on, having worked as a configuration manager and build release engineer for many years.

I have used a number of tools both open source and Commercial, for defect tracking and by far the best tool is Bugzilla :worship: ; I have even managed to get one place to go the Bugzilla route rather than ClearQuest the overblown IBM \ Rational product that is pushed with ClearCase (ClearCase is a great tool though).

Bugzilla, is a free open source web based defect tracking tool, it uses email to keep everyone informed of everything that is happening, runs on a number of platforms, uses a MySql backend (free to non-comercial users), I think it can use other DB's if required.

http://www.bugzilla.org/installation-list/ shows a list of companies and open source projects that use Bugzilla, it was started in 1998 and since that time has been very actively supported and is still running strong. It comes with great manuals and user guides.

I know two companies still using Bugzilla over 5 years after I installed and set it up for them, even though they have nobody supporting it, nor have they had to upgrade it. It just keeps on runnnig for them.

If you want to play with Bugzilla and try it out they have a test server set up at http://landfill.bugzilla.org/ where you can play, all you have to do is create yourself a Bugzilla account.

There are existing open source projects to link Bugzilla into Subversion, CVS and Perforce, at my current site we have integrated it into ClearCase

Some good sites for general info on defect tracking tools http://testingfaqs.org/t-track.html http://www.daveeaton.com/scm/PMTools.html#ClearQuest

both very large lists of such tools from different supplies with a summary on most of them this may be a little dated

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/component/opti...smf/Itemid,180/ this is the CM CrossRaods forums. CM CrossRoads is a up-to-date resource for people who like and are interested in Configuration Control and Build Release

I you have any specific question I may able to help, but all the info is there and open to read at http://www.bugzilla.org/

Hope this help (I am not connected to Bugzilla, I just think it is a great tool and was glad of the break from trying to get my head round thinking in wires)

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to come in late,

we just got our hands on 'On Time' by axosoft, still figuring it out. We got the program from another project which was killed by the client, so it was targeted for a Visual Studio team, but hey we got it now:

• Multi-user

Yes

• Multi-project

Definitely

• Web based

It has a web interface, which is just like the windows interface

• Open source

No

Should work, it has his own web server were you can log in on

• Inuative interface

Not really, however I only looked at it, but I think it covers everything

Definitely, it looks very powerfull

The manager who bought this is used to work on SIL4 level programming so the documentation of stuff is very well coverd with this program. The single user version is free! We are starting using this program in the next month or so. It has integration with MS Visual Studio and SourceSafe, I am not aware about subversion.

However it is rather pricy.

Ton

• 1 year later...

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Jan 27 2007, 02:11 PM)

You're welcome. And, to pay us back for all of our hard work, I'm sure you'll share your experience after you've implemented your system. ;)

CRelf,

I am considering implementing something along these lines, and was about to post a question when I came across your thread from a year ago. Very informative discussion. Thanks to all the LAVA readers who posted. I was wondering, though, if you could update us on any progress or experience you've had since this thread was started.

Thanks,

Dave

QUOTE(dthomson @ Feb 24 2008, 03:31 PM)

Hey - thanks for the prod - I'd forgotten about this topic.

We have implimented Bugzilla (although, internally we call it "issuezilla" :) ) with links to Subversion (we use the ToroiseSVN client). And the verdict? It works great :thumbup: Our engineers can work offsite, onsite, and everything works through the web or VPN. Also, when a team goes onsite for an extended period of time (eg: months in another country) they can take a laptop with subsets of the main SVN and bugzilla database that they can access like a local server, that can in turn snyc to the mothership every night (especially useful when working in a country with a limited internet connection).

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 24 2008, 04:57 PM)

Hey - thanks for the prod - I'd forgotten about this topic.

We have implimented Bugzilla (although, internally we call it "issuezilla" :) ) with links to Subversion (we use the ToroiseSVN client). And the verdict? It works great :thumbup: Our engineers can work offsite, onsite, and everything works through the web or VPN. Also, when a team goes onsite for an extended period of time (eg: months in another country) they can take a laptop with subsets of the main SVN and bugzilla database that they can access like a local server, that can in turn snyc to the mothership every night (especially useful when working in a country with a limited internet connection).

Thanks for the update. I appreciate the info!

DaveT