How to make same CIN (i.e. .lsb) file for all version

Hi,

We got three CINs in our project and we are using that to make library for our products. The problem is, if we have compile it using version 7 and if user have version 6 or

8.20 then those CINs can't be used. For that we have to make .lsb file and compile using perticular version i.e. If user have version 6 then we have to compile our c file

in that version and give it to user. So for every version we have different .lsb file for same c file. Is there any way we can use the same .lsb file for all the version.

Thanks in advance.....

Can anyboby suggest an alternative for this?

You could use a DLL. DLLs do not suffer from the need for a different version of each version of LabView. Even NI has (for the most part) removed CIN's from its libraries and replaced them with DLLs. Remember to develop LabView code that will work across multiple versions of LabView, you have to work with the lowest version number of LabView possible.

Another option, which may not apply in this case, is to rewrite the code using LabView. Its not always the best or easiest idea, but it is usually an option.

Hi,

We got three CINs in our project and we are using that to make library for our products. The problem is, if we have compile it using version 7 and if user have version 6 or

8.20 then those CINs can't be used. For that we have to make .lsb file and compile using perticular version i.e. If user have version 6 then we have to compile our c file

in that version and give it to user. So for every version we have different .lsb file for same c file. Is there any way we can use the same .lsb file for all the version.

Thanks in advance.....

I have had no trouble using CINs created in LabVIEW 5 in LabVIEW versions up to 7.1. Not sure about 8.0 but if I remember right the Luaview CIN created by my collegue Albert-Jan Brouwer is created with cintools from LabVIEW 7 and did run in LabVIEW 8.0 last time I checked. So I'm not exactly sure what is the issue about this.

I do however remember a notice somewhere in some release document to use labviewv.lib or labview.lib instead of the other to avoid just this version difference problem. AFAIK this was not a problem in cintools prior to 8.0.

Of course going the DLL path as suggested by others is the future proof way of working.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I have had no trouble using CINs created in LabVIEW 5 in LabVIEW versions up to 7.1. Not sure about 8.0 but if I remember right the Luaview CIN created by my collegue Albert-Jan Brouwer is created with cintools from LabVIEW 7 and did run in LabVIEW 8.0 last time I checked. So I'm not exactly sure what is the issue about this.

I can verify that Rolf is correct. I have used the LuaVIEW toolkit under 7.1, 8.0, and 8.2 and across mutilple platforms(Win\Linux). The only thing that was required was to recompile the VI's for the new version. Well, I had to do a little more to get the mutiplatform support working the way I needed, but that's a different subject.

So, I haven't programmed in C in a long time and don't know the secret (if there is one) to creating a mutil-version CIN for use with 8.x, but it is possible. Perhaps Rolf can put you in contact with Albert-Jan.

Regards,

Scott

QUOTE(smenjoulet @ Feb 8 2007, 02:27 PM)

I can verify that Rolf is correct. I have used the LuaVIEW toolkit under 7.1, 8.0, and 8.2 and across mutilple platforms(Win\Linux). The only thing that was required was to recompile the VI's for the new version. Well, I had to do a little more to get the mutiplatform support working the way I needed, but that's a different subject.

So, I haven't programmed in C in a long time and don't know the secret (if there is one) to creating a mutil-version CIN for use with 8.x, but it is possible. Perhaps Rolf can put you in contact with Albert-Jan.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks everybody for reply.

Yes, If we recompile the VIs then it is working. But we are doing this starting from version 4.0 . And we have to give all the VIs compiled from different versions to user.

So this is little bit confusing for user and bad way of programming as well. So we have decided to convert CIN to DLL and compile the VI using version 4.0 . So the same

VIs will be given to user and he can use it for what ever version he want.

But as Rolfk said let me see if we use labviewv.lib or labview.lib then problem will be solved or not?

Thanks..

QUOTE(prayami @ Feb 11 2007, 12:23 PM)

Thanks everybody for reply.

Yes, If we recompile the VIs then it is working. But we are doing this starting from version 4.0 . And we have to give all the VIs compiled from different versions to user.

So this is little bit confusing for user and bad way of programming as well. So we have decided to convert CIN to DLL and compile the VI using version 4.0 . So the same

VIs will be given to user and he can use it for what ever version he want.

But as Rolfk said let me see if we use labviewv.lib or labview.lib then problem will be solved or not?

Thanks..

Well recompiling VIs is always necessary when you go from an older version to a newer version. That is completely independant of CINs. Any VI will prompt the user having loaded it in a newer version than what it was created in, to save that VI. And as said I compiled regularly CINs in LabVIEW 4 or 5 and they still load and run in newer versions.

Abandoned CINs at around LabVIEW 6 as they are now considered legacy technology and don't really provide anything above DLLs but have quite a few drawbacks as far as maintenance is concerned.

Rolf Kalbermatter