how to create executable VIs (.exe files) in Labview. Is it possible to run a VI without labview actually been installed on the system ???

You need to get the Application Builder, either separately purchased, or if you have one of the LV Pro packages, it is included.

It is under Tools>Build Executable.

Once you build the exe, you need to install the LabVIEW Runtime Engine, along with your exe on the machine that you want to run your exe on.

The RTE needs to be only installed once, after that you can replace your exe or add others, and they should all run fine.

Neville.

Assuming you are using the Windows version of LabVIEW:

Starting in LabVIEW 8.0, executables are built from a LabVIEW project. One must create a LabVIEW project that contains the top-level VI for the executable. Additional data files may be added to the project (even if they are not LabVIEW files). At the bottom of the Project->My Computer tree is a "Build Specifications" branch. Right click on "Build Specifications" and select New->Application (EXE) or New->Installer.

As stated previously, you must have one of the Pro versions of LabVIEW to build executables. If you build an Installer, it will include the LabVIEW runtime engine.

• 2 years later...

I've been having problems with creating the executable application. I get to the Project Explorer, then right click on Build specifications and all I get is "New >> Source Distribution" rather than the "Application" tab that I need. Am I not saving the instrument correctly to get the correct menu? (I tried to upload a screen shot, but it won't let me :( )

I've been having problems with creating the executable application. I get to the Project Explorer, then right click on Build specifications and all I get is "New >> Source Distribution" rather than the "Application" tab that I need. Am I not saving the instrument correctly to get the correct menu? (I tried to upload a screen shot, but it won't let me :( )

Do you have Application Builder or LabVIEW Professional?

Have a look in your NI License Manager which you can access from Start Menu >> National Instruments >> NI License Manager have a look at what you have activated.

Assuming you are using the Windows version of LabVIEW:

Starting in LabVIEW 8.0, executables are built from a LabVIEW project. One must create a LabVIEW project that contains the top-level VI for the executable. Additional data files may be added to the project (even if they are not LabVIEW files). At the bottom of the Project->My Computer tree is a "Build Specifications" branch. Right click on "Build Specifications" and select New->Application (EXE) or New->Installer.

As stated previously, you must have one of the Pro versions of LabVIEW to build executables. If you build an Installer, it will include the LabVIEW runtime engine.

This statement is not totally true. Yes you do need to create a LabVIEW Project Explorer with the top-level executable, if you are doing a straight NI LabVIEW build, however if you are using the OpenG Builder then you can happily build without using a LabVIEW project and there are many good reason to use the OpenG builder in my view

(Note to self .... I really should start using the LabVIEW Project Explorer :rolleyes: )

If you do use the OpenG builder you will still need the NI Application Builder as this is at the core of the OpenG builder.

Dannyt