AutoSizing annoyance

This is not a 'bug', but a real annoyance. I like all of the labels on my controls visible inside my typedef cluster constants in my block diagram. Autosizing does not "size to fit" to the labels, only the controls themselves. So I turn off the AutoSizing and make the border fit to include my labels ... but when I apply changes to my typedef the constant on my block diagram automatically defaults back to "size to fit" and I lose my labels again. Am I missing something in the options or is this normal behavior?

I just tried in 7.1 and it seems to work fine - I created a typedef cluster, placed a copy of it in the diagram, made the labels of the controls inside it visible and the constant was resized to show the labels. I guess that means this is a bug in 8.2.

Incidentally, I don't usually use constants of typedef clusters because they can mess up the diagram. Instead, I create a VI which only has an indicator of the typedef and use that as the output of the VI.

You can then wire the output from this VI into any bundle by name node to get the names of the elements and the VI itself remains the same size no matter how many elements you add to the typedef.

Then, if you want to see the structure of the cluster, you can use the context help window and hover over the wire or simply double click the VI.

QUOTE(PaulG. @ Feb 15 2007, 10:08 AM)

This is not a 'bug', but a real annoyance. I like all of the labels on my controls visible inside my typedef cluster constants in my block diagram. Autosizing does not "size to fit" to the labels, only the controls themselves. So I turn off the AutoSizing and make the border fit to include my labels ... but when I apply changes to my typedef the constant on my block diagram automatically defaults back to "size to fit" and I lose my labels again. Am I missing something in the options or is this normal behavior?

Paul, unfortunetly it is (ab)normal behawior typedef costants in LabVIEW 8.2.

No mater do you make typedef control and next use method Create>>Constant or do you make constant on the diagram - if you make order and after that change any thing - order will be lost.

I mean labels, not cluster order, of course.

:headbang:

yen: of course it is good method and can be used at 8.2, but typedef could be just hidden at 0 frame at stack sequence and be driven by wire to main (1) sequence.

Then you could make some short description about VI's start conditions at 0 frame.