List Folder accept multiple wildcard patterns

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Feb 15 2007, 04:13 PM)

Don't know if this is a bug or a feature request:

Can the list folder function accept multiple wildcard patterns?

Edit: I know the OpenG List Folder VI handles this, I was just wondering why the NI one doesn't.

I'd just like to point out that the semicolon is a valid character in a filename, at least in Windows. So this would actually reduce the functionality of the list folder function. It seems to me it would ideally accept an array of patterns, rather than a single delimited string.

Sure, ";" is a valid char., however the help states:

The pattern matching in this function is similar to the matching used in matching wildcards in Windows and Linux
The Windows file dialogs accept ";" as a seperator. Also, The LV File dialog function accepts ";" as a delimiter for pattern input. This is used to filter the directory listing. From the help in the file dialog:

To match multiple patterns, use a semicolon ( ; ) to separate the patterns. White space, such as blanks, tabs, and carriage returns, are taken literally. Avoid using white spaces unless they are part of the extension pattern. For example, if you use *.html;*.doc, the dialog box displays all files that end with .html and .doc. If you use *.html; *.doc, the dialog box displays only files that end with .html.

So all i'm stating is that there is a descrepancy somewhere.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Feb 15 2007, 05:39 PM)

The Windows file dialogs accept ";" as a separator. Also, The LV File dialog function accepts ";" as a delimiter for pattern input. This is used to filter the directory listing. From the help in the file dialog:

You also can't use ; when searching for files in Windows. It seems to ignore the ignore the character completely. So I guess the question becomes: which is better, a function that works in every case, or one that prevents you from doing certain things, but gives you some extra functionality in exchange?

• 2 weeks later...