Dire Straits: Water of Love (Live 1979)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N9RrxLDG4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N9RrxLDG4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Amazing guitar work. One of my favorite groups. :wub: I grew up on Dire Straits.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Feb 21 2007, 05:43 PM)

Amazing guitar work. One of my favorite groups. :wub: I grew up on Dire Straits.

Me too - my first record (yes, record) was Brothers in Arms - almost wore it out. Saw them live in Canberra in 91(?) supported by the Hothous Flowers - absolutely awesome!!!

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Feb 21 2007, 12:09 PM)

I am glad that my Dad has excellent taste in music, allowing me to also grow up with Dire Straits. Now I want to go home and bring some Dire Straits in to work. :thumbup:

Y'all are trying to make me* feel old aren't you?

My first LP was Led Zeplin 1.

Well the good news I can see retirement from were I stand.

Ben

* Yes, I am paranoid. :blink:

Well, I have to admit that is the best version of the song I've heard, but that one is far from being my favorite, even from the first album, where you have Down to the waterline, Lions and of course Sultans of swing.

I think my absolute personal favorite is Lions. See here for some band doing their (fairly modified) version of it. It's not as good as the original, but it conveys the spirit of the song.

Also, clearly tst is a person of good taste for having a line from that song in the signature.

BTW, I found it extremely amusing to see Mark Knopfler turned from being English to being very American (just look at any album of his from recent years).

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Feb 21 2007, 08:43 AM)

Fantastic. A good year, my car was made in the same :)

Communique is just as refined and smooth.

I can't appreciate the millionair blues and other later song very much.

Joris

QUOTE(yen @ Feb 21 2007, 10:00 AM)

Well, I have to admit that is the best version of the song I've heard, but that one is far from being my favorite, even from the first album, where you have Down to the waterline, Lions and of course Sultans of swing.

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing '78 (live)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCP10oa3Slg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCP10oa3Slg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

QUOTE(Ben @ Feb 21 2007, 09:13 AM)

Y'all are trying to make me* feel old aren't you?

No, I just feel young and inexperienced. (At least I was born a little before 1979)

I also didn't grow up with LabVIEW, since I started with 7.1.1, but I am very grateful to a friend here at work who introduced me and mentored me in LabVIEW.

You just need to be able to recognize a good thing and then go with it.

QUOTE(yen @ Feb 21 2007, 11:39 PM)

Ben - here's one for you - it's about Mason and Dixon and a good demo of Mark's American phase.

And here's a full live version of it.

And of course, my favorite part of the Alchemy CDs (other than the intro to Once Upon...) - the amazing

with Mel Collins on the Sax.

And speaking of great guitar work, check out Marble Town on AOL. Mark looks half dead, but his fingers are still working properly :thumbup: . As he put it in an interview I also just saw on Youtube (in French) - doing that is "très difficile".