Excel Chart 2 Y axis

ats

I am trying to create an excel line chart with 2 Y axis, one on either side and was wondering if someone has tried it before. I have multiple channels to display as lines. The 'Excel insert graph.vi' in the report generation toolkit does not have "lines on 2 axis" graph.

I was told one can work with ActiveX or Macro's to accomplish it. As I have lot of data, Macro's may create issues. Also I tried to play around with Excel Set Graph scale.vi and mess around with ActiveX properties but couldn't find a way to do it.

I am using LabVIEW 8.0 on Windows XP machine. I will appreciate any help or suggestions in this regard.

Thank you,

Atul

Hiya,

Firstly, I would like to warn you that interfacing with MS Office applications is not difficult, but it definitely ain't no cup of tea, either. :thumbdown:

Also, you may run into trouble when you upgrade to a new version of MS Office.

QUOTE(ats @ Feb 21 2007, 11:12 AM)

I was told one can work with ActiveX or Macro's to accomplish it.

Essentially, interfacing with MS Office through ActiveX allows you to run VBA code externally. What I found as a quick way to "see how things work" with VBA is to use the macro-record feature in Excel, and look at the generated code. That will give you an idea of how to programatically build a 2-axis graph.

The LV code will turn out to be a bunch of property nodes and methods which graphically mimic the VBA code (that's the way I think of it). LV 8 is great in that it allows you to look-up help for VBA properties and methods directly from the block diagram.

Alternatively, you can build the macro in Excel and simply "call" it from LV. I think this was covered in the available examples.

I hope that helps,

--H

I have built a simple "LVBA" application that opens excel, creates data, builds a chart and adds a second Axis.

It's a bit hurried, but I did take the time to annotate my code. :thumbup:

FYI, Atul, all VBA code written in LabVIEW ends up looking like that. I would normally break this sort of thing into a bunch of sub-vi's.

One thing I've done in the past was to build a template with the charts already properly formatted, etc., and simply add the data to spreadsheet. That worked out quite well, but took a great deal of time to tweak. I would suggest this sort of thing if you are using your code to generate a test data report.

I hope that helps

--H

Thanks, this is really helpful and also the ideas you gave.

Atul

QUOTE(Doon @ Feb 21 2007, 11:58 PM)

I have built a simple "LVBA" application that opens excel, creates data, builds a chart and adds a second Axis.

It's a bit hurried, but I did take the time to annotate my code. :thumbup:

FYI, Atul, all VBA code written in LabVIEW ends up looking like that. I would normally break this sort of thing into a bunch of sub-vi's.

One thing I've done in the past was to build a template with the charts already properly formatted, etc., and simply add the data to spreadsheet. That worked out quite well, but took a great deal of time to tweak. I would suggest this sort of thing if you are using your code to generate a test data report.

I hope that helps

--H