Do you use the NI Example Finder?

Jim Kring

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Feb 25 2007, 10:20 PM)

I normally use the NI Example Finder when I want to use a DAQ example for something a little more powerful than a MAX Test Panel when testing out some hardware... But I like the idea of OpenG examples appearing there!

Hi Jim

Good work, the only real problem with the example finder is the alphabetic sorting within a directory.

But we can use it by generating names that sort correctly.

The problem with the daq examples is that the simple examples end up somewhere in the middle between the high level examples.

What you need is a good directory structure and an indication if the example is easy,medium or only for programmers that search for trhe last bit.

I usually fire up the example finder if I'm going to use a feature which might be a bit complex (like a multiplot XY graph, which I never seem to manage to understand even after hovering over its terminal with the context help or dynamic event registration or ActiveX).

Most OpenG VIs, as far as I can remember, are simple enough to understand so I don't think I'll be looking for examples for those, but now that I know that they are there, I might try to look for them for the more complicated functions.

I find it a clunky interface to the normal directory structure. So I usually just Open a VI and then click to the LV application directory and I am used to finding stuff there. Maybe I should give it another chance. It used to be very problematic about finding things.

Jim,

I use the Example Finder sometimes but mostly if I feel to be in need of an example I would browse to the examples folder to go about directly. I kind of prefer simple ways for simple tasks and am not a big fan of wizards and helper apps which are supposed to make things simpler. I mostly look for examples when starting on a new DAQ-task of a kind I have never done before. Examples can come in really handy and they are a valuable resource of LabVIEW.

Regards and happy wireworks

Urs