Lava Search SUCKS

• 1 month later...

Well I may have to edit my original post. Nice job on the Google search.

BUT WAIT!! Does anyone else see this problem... when I click on a search result, no page pops up and I have no popup blockers on and the only way to see the clicked result is to shift click the result and a new window pops up.

I'm using IE 6.0 and No I can not use firefox, I like activex too much.

-Norm

QUOTE(njkirchner @ Mar 30 2007, 02:19 PM)

when I click on a search result, no page pops up and I have no popup blockers on and the only way to see the clicked result is to shift click the result and a new window pops up.

I'm using IE 6.0 and No I can not use firefox, I like activex too much.

I'm running IE7 and it's working fine. What I mean is that when I click on a link it opens it in the same browser window. What was your expectation? Also, IE7 has tabs so you can shift+middleclick to open it in a tab. By default the links open in the same window, what are you looking for?
  • 2 months later...

The search still sucks!

I was looking for this post the term

toolbar

did not return the post, I had to browse my attachment list to get there.

Recently I was looking for this post the term

gem

did not return this post while the word is actual in the post!

Looking for this discussion (Lava search SUCKS) with

sucks

or

SUCKS

both did not work the term should have been

"LAVA search"

:headbang:

Ton

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(yen @ Jun 20 2007, 10:49 AM)

Still sucky. I was reminded of http://forums.lavag.org/Changing-XY-Graph-Plot-Area-Programmatically-t3344.html&p=13082#entry13082' target="_blank">this thread, so I tried looking for it.

"Mel", "Kermit" or "Rogers" could not find it. In the end, I went into Google and searched for it and immediately found it.

Is it possible the old posts are not properly indexed?

I'm not sure. I did a search on "kermit mel" and it came right up.

If I search from the search box in the bottom part of the specific forum the results are in, it works, but if I click the Forum Search link at the top of the page, it only returns the recent thread.

In general it would have been nice if the search was more advanced. For example, the ability to search for posts from a specific user, the ability to narrow the results by time, having a page where you see all the options (like Google's advance search), having the link actually take you to the post where the text of your search is.

Is it possible this is another FF\IE issue? I guess I will have to check it in FF.

• 1 year later...

By the way, this still seems to suck.

Examples:

• "kermit mel" still does not find the thread we discussed earlier.
  • "search sucks" still does not find this thread.
  • "labview tool suggestion" (what I was actually looking for) does not find this thread.

All of them seem to work fine through labviewsearch.com. Maybe the internal search engine just isn't indexing the content?

QUOTE (Yair @ Aug 11 2008, 02:04 PM)

I have to second Yair's comments. I have a very difficult time trying to find things I know are on LAVA. With few exceptions, if the post did not occur recently (so that I can find it in the recent threads) I try once with my best guess and give up afterwards.

I would be linking more LAVA threads on the Dark-Side if I could find them quickly.

Ben

QUOTE (Yair @ Aug 11 2008, 02:04 PM)

I haven't tried labviewsearch.com, but the search results is the reason that I do all of my searching for specific information on NI forums. Reading new posts here is great, but it seems pretty difficult to search for past postings in any meaningful way.