Time to install 8.2?

orko

Hello all,

A quick question for someone...

I've recently had to rebuild my dev box, and am now feeding CDs to my hungry servant (or am I it's servant...) :worship:

I've reinstalled LV7.1.1 and LV8.0.1, and am staring at my LV8.2 discs wondering...is ti time? Does anyone have any tips or pointers to information about possible issues I might run into?

Thanks!

-- orko

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started using 8.0.x sometime after it was available but before the 8.0.1 bugfix release. I have found 8.2 to be superior to 8.0.1. It starts up much faster for one thing, and I think a few annoyances were fixed. Two new features in 8.2 are LVOOP, which I have not yet used, and an import shared library wizard which I have used successfully (with some pain) to call functions from a proprietary C++ library under development at my company.

QUOTE(orko @ Feb 28 2007, 06:10 PM)

Hello all,

A quick question for someone...

I've recently had to rebuild my dev box, and am now feeding CDs to my hungry servant (or am I it's servant...) :worship:

I've reinstalled LV7.1.1 and LV8.0.1, and am staring at my LV8.2 discs wondering...is ti time? Does anyone have any tips or pointers to information about possible issues I might run into?

Thanks!

-- orko

Last year, after using 7.11 exclusively and daily for over 2 years the powers-that-be at the time forced me to jump directly from 7.11 to 8.20. :o After lying in a fetal position for a few weeks I turned out OK. :blink:

Go for it. The sooner the better. 8.20 is awesome compared to 7.11 :yes:

You know, a lot of people have a knee-jerk reaction to reject "dot zero" versions of software. I like to tell these people that LV7.0 was the most stable version of LV ever when it was released. And then they ask about 8.0....

*sigh*

Use 8.2. And please forgive us for 8.0. Every software team has bad days. We tried to pack ours all together in a couple months so that we wouldn't have any more bad days for the next several releases. ;-)

QUOTE(orko @ Mar 1 2007, 12:10 AM)

Why use 8.0.1 if you have 8.2? I was really disapointed about the quality of 8.0 and did never use it. But I am happy with 8.2 (as you can see in the "things that have improved thread"). I still use 7.1, because I have a large project in 7.1.1 which is *finished* but sill maintained, and I don't want to spend extra time with upgrading ...

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 1 2007, 06:44 AM)

Use 8.2. And please forgive us for 8.0. Every software team has bad days. We tried to pack ours all together in a couple months so that we wouldn't have any more bad days for the next several releases. ;-)

I forgive you ;) And I still believe - 8.0 was a marketing driven release ;) (or, the SEs/AEs/FEs, I know personally got really nervous, because they had no new release to announce one year after 7.1 ...).

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 1 2007, 03:44 PM)

...and please forgive us for 8.0.

Slight OT, but: a huge congratulations on 8.20 - I have always enjoyed programming in LabVIEW, but 8.20 is exciting, fun and a pleasure to use - you guys should be extremely proud of it! :worship:

[Napolean Dynamite Voice] LabVIEW 8.20 is like the best version ever! [/Napolean Dynamite Voice]

But really, 8.20 is a ton of fun to work with and really stable compared to 8.0. The startup time alone will save you days in your first month of use.

Dave Graybeal

-Proud 8.20 User-

Yes go for it!

LV 8.0 is still useful (if you need to back-save from LV 8.2 to LV 7.1)

BTW: One of my administrators recieved an e-mail that LV 8.2.1 is due to ship soon. I concider that a public acknowledgement that it exists. So let me add that I (and a number of other Bug hunters) had a lot of problems trying to find bugs in LV 8.2.1 durring Beta testing. In fact I could not find ANY show stoping bugs. LV 8.2.1 will displace LV 6.2 as the most stable LV release (in my book anyway). Oh yes, and wait until you see the realease notes. Your jaw will drop!

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Mar 1 2007, 05:32 AM)

LV 8.0 is still useful (if you need to back-save from LV 8.2 to LV 7.1)

Considering that the LV 8.2 release came soon after the troublesome 8.0 release, and little if any code is being maintained in an 8.0 version, I would like to see an option in 8.2.1 to back-save directly to 7.1. Why install 8.0 just to get back saving?

And Tomi, weren't the majority of those bugs related to developing LVOOP code?

David

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Mar 1 2007, 08:14 AM)

I have reported many dozens bug reports since the release of 8.20 so I'm not entirely sure this is a stable product.

Tomi

I will have to side with Tomi on this one. While LV 8.2 is a hughe step forward in term of stability compare to 8.0x, the editing environement (whether through the project or the old fashion way) is far from beeing as stable than LV 7.1.

Some quick Example:

• LV 7.1 usage: could spend weeks (I hesitate to put months even) with no crash
  • LV 8.0x usage: could hardly spend a day without several crashes
  • LV 8.2 usage: crash about once or twice a week

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Mar 1 2007, 07:08 PM)

LV 8.2 usage: crash about once or twice a week

I get a crash about 2-5 times a day, mostly they are not reproducible. Even more often I get an error message when I start LabVIEW that last time LabVIEW didn't close properly. Most of the crashes are related to either LabVOOP or the new project environment. Also the builder has quite many bugs. Data corruption doesn't occur very often but it's good idea to keep backups up to date.

Tomi

I want to thank everyone for their candid opinions on this topic. It has really put me at ease, since I've completed 2 rather large projects in the past 6(?) months that both were done in 8.0.1. I may be able to convince the powers-that-be (read: money pots) that it would be prudent to spend the time upgrading those projects to 8.2.

If not at least my new project ,which is about half-way through development, will be converted to 8.2 when I get back from LV Advanced training this next week (Austin here I come!).

Even though all of the advice was well given/taken, this quote was the clincher:

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Feb 28 2007, 09:44 PM)

As a software developer, I know how hard it is to admit that all your hard work didn't pay off as well as you had planned...especially in a public forum. I really appreciate your honesty.

Joe "orko" Sines

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Mar 1 2007, 05:14 PM)

I have reported many dozens bug reports since the release of 8.20 so I'm not entirely sure this is a stable product.

Bugs in LVOOP? ;)

LVOOP is a public beta ...

QUOTE(i2dx @ Mar 1 2007, 01:09 PM)

Bugs in LVOOP? ;)

LVOOP is a public beta ...

Oh, I hope we tested it better than *that*. But, yes, it is brand new. The bulk of LV became dramatically more stable from 8.0 to 8.2. Getting beta customers or NI internal developers to use LV classes before release was pretty challenging... it's one thing to ask people to try to use a new feature. It's quite another to get them to change their entire LV mindset just for a beta. NI usually has lots of internal developers working on projects using the beta, which helps ensure the stability of the product. It's a level of software testing that most software development can't get, and I think that's pretty cool that we do. But for LV classes, nobody wanted to go first.

There are currently four major NI internal projects that use LV classes (that I know of), so we should see much more stability going forward. Heck, the Getting Started Window is now written with LV classes, so if we break, LV won't even get off the ground. That sort of thing will help keep them at the forefront of tested features in the future. ;-)

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Mar 1 2007, 08:22 AM)

Considering that the LV 8.2 release came soon after the troublesome 8.0 release, and little if any code is being maintained in an 8.0 version, I would like to see an option in 8.2.1 to back-save directly to 7.1. Why install 8.0 just to get back saving?

And Tomi, weren't the majority of those bugs related to developing LVOOP code?

David

OK so here's a bit of a conundrum for me. I'm between 8.0.1 and 8.20. I have a project that I've been preparing to deploy using 8.0.1 and I've NOT wanted to migrate to 8.20 because that means downloading another LVRTE for my users. But I'm NOW having problems tyring to Save For Previous version -- specifically trying to back migrate some 8.20 code to 8.0.1. I get a "///can't complete..." the backwards save messge, indidcating memory may be full or...

What's up with that and are there any good suggestions about how to actually complete a Save For Previous in this situation?

BTW I did a search on Save For Previous here but wasn't directed to any specific threads. Perhaps it's just another "Dummy" question but any suggestion on how I could better navigate LAVA??? -- which IMO absolutely rocks!

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Mar 1 2007, 07:27 PM)

OK so here's a bit of a conundrum for me. I'm between 8.0.1 and 8.20. I have a project that I've been preparing to deploy using 8.0.1 and I've NOT wanted to migrate to 8.20 because that means downloading another LVRTE for my users. But I'm NOW having problems tyring to Save For Previous version -- specifically trying to back migrate some 8.20 code to 8.0.1. I get a "///can't complete..." the backwards save messge, indidcating memory may be full or...

What's up with that and are there any good suggestions about how to actually complete a Save For Previous in this situation?

I had some problems trying to back-save from 8.2 to 8.0 a while ago. I seem to remember specifically having an issue with the new SPACE constant in the String palette. There might be other problems. What is the exact error message?

David

"Save for previous failed for some unspecified reason. Memory could be full or the disk access may not be allowed."

This message has consistenly appeared when trying to save the lvproj file from 8.20 to 8.0. Some times there were error messages about files being in the "wrong place" and so having to be loaded from an alternate location. Even when the requested files were copied to the indicated location -- and that particular "missing file" dialogue wasn't seen -- the same ending message as above was given.