Time to install 8.2?

orko

QUOTE(Ben @ Mar 1 2007, 05:32 AM)

BTW: One of my administrators recieved an e-mail that LV 8.2.1 is due to ship soon. I concider that a public acknowledgement that it exists. So let me add that I (and a number of other Bug hunters) had a lot of problems trying to find bugs in LV 8.2.1 durring Beta testing. In fact I could not find ANY show stoping bugs. LV 8.2.1 will displace LV 6.2 as the most stable LV release (in my book anyway). Oh yes, and wait until you see the realease notes. Your jaw will drop!

I agree. I've heard the rumblings of an 8.2.1 and that the release notes are astonishing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 1 2007, 11:28 PM)

Oh, I hope we tested it better than *that*. But, yes, it is brand new. The bulk of LV became dramatically more stable from 8.0 to 8.2. Getting beta customers or NI internal developers to use LV classes before release was pretty challenging... it's one thing to ask people to try to use a new feature. It's quite another to get them to change their entire LV mindset just for a beta. NI usually has lots of internal developers working on projects using the beta, which helps ensure the stability of the product. It's a level of software testing that most software development can't get, and I think that's pretty cool that we do. But for LV classes, nobody wanted to go first.

There are currently four major NI internal projects that use LV classes (that I know of), so we should see much more stability going forward. Heck, the Getting Started Window is now written with LV classes, so if we break, LV won't even get off the ground. That sort of thing will help keep them at the forefront of tested features in the future. ;-)

oh, please don't take that to serious. I think it's beta, not because it's unstable or buggy, like a *real* beta version, I think it's *public beta* because it's a brand new feature, which is not jet *finished* will develop through the next releases of LV. You can compare that in a way to trees in LV 7.0 or the Event Structure in 6.1, which had a very basic functionality in the first release but grew up to a realy importen aspect in LV.

For me this is like an invitation: "hey guys, we've got something new, please check it out, we'll collect your feedback and make the best out of it". So I try to get used to it, think about the possibilities and try to imagine where to use that technique in my next project.

Can you live with that? ;)

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 3 2007, 09:21 AM)

Whilst I agree that 6.1 was super (much better after the 6 debacle) I was always partial to 5.1.1...

LV 5.1.1 = BV 2.1.1 (I believe)

That was before control references was it not? We had to do all of our GUI tricks in the top level VI and it often became difficult to seperate the app functional code from the GUI functions.

But stability-wise the LV core was very solid in BV 2.1.1.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Mar 4 2007, 01:01 AM)

I didn't know that - you learn something new every day :)

QUOTE(Ben @ Mar 4 2007, 01:01 AM)

That was before control references was it not? We had to do all of our GUI tricks in the top level VI and it often became difficult to seperate the app functional code from the GUI functions. But stability-wise the
LV
core was very solid in BV 2.1.1.

Yep - stability is what I was talking about.

Here are some tips to survive with LV 8.20 and later

• Avoid renaming VIs in project, your project may corrupt
  • If you need to rename, make a backup before you rename
  • Avoid typedefs, compiler cannot manage complicated typedef references
  • Compile as often as you can by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Run and then save all
  • If your project get corrupted
    • Open your project and try to recompile by ctrl+shift+run
    • Don't use save all as it may crash your LabVIEW but save all VIs individually
    • be patient, to get project working may require may rounds of recompiling and saving and recompiling and saving and...
    • If your VIs get missing because you tried to rename them and LabVIEW crashed, edit the project or library XML by hand to change the VI names to actual names
    • If nothing helps revert to backup

If you have complicated LVOOP projects, this may be daily fun, especially if you want to rename stuff.

Tomi

My experience with LabVIEW 8.2 is that the run time behaviour seems to be very stable, but the editing is not, e.g. I have got numerous crashes trying to get a "Bundle by name" node from the palettes. The palette freezes and in the end LabVIEW crashes.

Regarding load speed, I feel that having LV 7.1.1, LV8 and LV8.2 on the same machine tends to result in longer load time fo any of the LabVIEW versions (but you hardly notice this for LV8 :rolleyes: ).

Tomi: do you experience these issues for all LabVIEW projects or only projects involving LVOOP?

/J

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Mar 3 2007, 05:28 PM)

• Avoid renaming VIs in project, your project may corrupt
  • If you need to rename, make a backup before you rename
  • Avoid typedefs, compiler cannot manage complicated typedef references
  • Compile as often as you can by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Run and then save all
  • If your project get corrupted
    • Open your project and try to recompile by ctrl+shift+run
    • Don't use save all as it may crash your LabVIEW but save all VIs individually
    • be patient, to get project working may require may rounds of recompiling and saving and recompiling and saving and...
    • If your VIs get missing because you tried to rename them and LabVIEW crashed, edit the project or library XML by hand to change the VI names to actual names
    • If nothing helps revert to backup

QUOTE(JFM @ Mar 3 2007, 08:13 PM)

Tomi: do you experience these issues for all LabVIEW projects or only projects involving LVOOP?

All my major projects involve LVOOP, so I guess the answer is I don't experience these issues in projects without LVOOP. It doesn't mean that there are no such issues, I just don't have experience. However other like Ben have not encountered similar problems than I so I assume that most problems must be LVOOP related. There are a number of random crashes and corruptions the reason of which I don't know. The list I posted are just some things one can do to avoid some crashes not all.

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Mar 3 2007, 06:28 PM)

Avoid typedefs, compiler cannot manage complicated typedef references

That's a good one. Is using LV classes what allows you to do this?

How serious are these crashes?

Using TDs (and even more so complicated TDs) is something that is almost a must for many many projects, so avoiding them is not a real option unless there is some alternative.

QUOTE(yen @ Mar 4 2007, 07:20 PM)

Mostly just annoyances, you may loose your work after last save. However some bugs corrupt your project as compiler cannot compile the change. Then you may find yourself in a position that you simply cannot do something you try. It simply doesn't compile. Everytime you try you get a crash.

QUOTE(yen @ Mar 4 2007, 07:20 PM)

Using TDs (and even more so complicated TDs) is something that is almost a must for many many projects, so avoiding them is not a real option unless there is some alternative.

I know, there is no alternative. :)

One more recommendation I forgot from the last list. If you fail to compile your LabVOOP project, change all classes to inherit from LabVIEW object and then recompile the base class. Then add classes back to inheritance hierarchy one-by-one and recompile after each addition. This may help. If it doesn't help, it helps you to identify the problematic class at least.

EDIT: You may also benefit from opening parent class alone in the memory, then recomiling it and closing it. It helps some times.

I see this thread has brought other issues to light, but back a little more on topic ;)

In the LV Advanced class I'm in this week, there is about 10 of us that are working off of LV 8.0 boxes, and I've seen already (in the first day) several instances where LV crashed for no apparent reason on more than a few boxes... this makes me more and more reassured that I need to upgrade my apps to 8.2 as soon as I can get back to the office.

Thanks again for all of the input I've received on and off the board! Ryan King is co-teaching this class, and seemed to share the same opinion that 8.0, having brought out so many new features, was fixed in many ways by the 8.2 release.

Joe "orko" Sines

QUOTE(orko @ Mar 5 2007, 07:07 PM)

I see this thread has brought other issues to light, but back a little more on topic ;)

In the LV Advanced class I'm in this week, there is about 10 of us that are working off of LV 8.0 boxes, and I've seen already (in the first day) several instances where LV crashed for no apparent reason on more than a few boxes... this makes me more and more reassured that I need to upgrade my apps to 8.2 as soon as I can get back to the office.

Thanks again for all of the input I've received on and off the board! Ryan King is co-teaching this class, and seemed to share the same opinion that 8.0, having brought out so many new features, was fixed in many ways by the 8.2 release.

Joe "orko" Sines

There have been rumblings of an 8.2.1 release. You might want to wait until this is released.

:2cents:

QUOTE(orko @ Mar 6 2007, 04:07 AM)

Strange, is that an NI class? because I think they should teach that with the latest release, or is everybody working on their private laptop?

Ton

QUOTE(tibobo @ Mar 6 2007, 06:06 AM)

As far as I tried 8.2.1, many LVOOP bugs are fixed. You should be convinced.

Trust me, Tomi has filed a list of bugs that *aren't* fixed in the 8.2.1. He's found arcane and bizzare behaviors in all sorts of aspects of LV. Yes, many bugs are fixed in 8.2.1. But you won't convince the man who knows the range of issues that remain. :)

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Mar 5 2007, 09:14 PM)

Strange, is that an NI class? because I think they should teach that with the latest release, or is everybody working on their private laptop?

Yep, I'm in Austin sitting in the class right now. We all have NI supplied Dell PCs with 8.0 installed, but even the instructors were a little surprised to find that 8.2 wasn't on the ghost image yet. They really try not to teach on a version specific level, but the course has been updated to the 8.x level.

Joe "orko" Sines

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 6 2007, 04:24 PM)

Trust me, Tomi has filed a list of bugs that *aren't* fixed in the 8.2.1. He's found arcane and bizzare behaviors in all sorts of aspects of LV. Yes, many bugs are fixed in 8.2.1. But you won't convince the man who knows the range of issues that remain. :)

Now that AQ has announced that 8.2.1 will be there, I'm not braking my NDA anymore by saying that yes I've tested 8.2.1 and it's much more stable than 8.20!!! But AQ is right in that there are still bugs that I reported too late that will not fixed wich are making some of my days a nightmare. EDIT: However I think if you are not taking LabVOOP to the same level as I'm, then you will have everything close to fine with 8.2.1.

Tomi

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Mar 6 2007, 10:24 AM)

Considering 8.2.1 is not released yet I wouldn't put much into the "aren't fixed" just yet.