how can i run this vi continuously?

CITATION(frentzen @ Mar 5 2007, 01:21 PM)

Hi,

i want to run this vi continuously , but i get the following mistake "The data type of the Variant is not compatible with the data type, which is connected with the entrance". has anybody a sollution?

i attached the vi and the xml-file i want to read.

Thanks, Thomas

Hi,

I get no error when I run your code... :blink:

QUOTE(frentzen @ Mar 5 2007, 01:21 PM)

Hi,

i want to run this vi continuously , but i get the following mistake "The data type of the Variant is not compatible with the data type, which is connected with the entrance". has anybody a sollution?

i attached the vi and the xml-file i want to read.

Thanks, Thomas

In stead of using a script to parse your XML file, you could try to parse the XML data (after reading it as a text file) by using the LabVIEW VIs "ParseXMLFragments.vi", "FindFirstTag.vi", "FindMatchingCloseTag.vi", all located in \vi.lib\Utility\xml.llb.

This would solve the variant related problems, as well as being more clean code.

-Mikkel :)

ZITAT(Mikkel @ Mar 5 2007, 02:08 PM)

In stead of using a script to parse your XML file, you could try to parse the XML data (after reading it as a text file) by using the LabVIEW VIs "ParseXMLFragments.vi", "FindFirstTag.vi", "FindMatchingCloseTag.vi", all located in \vi.lib\Utility\xml.llb.

This would solve the variant related problems, as well as being more clean code.

Hi,

Thanks for your answears. i just forgot a little thing to mention. I want to run the vi continously with file path integrated in the vi.

the xml-file gets new data every minute and the vi should always get the new data.

thank you so far,

thomas

QUOTE(frentzen @ Mar 5 2007, 03:15 PM)

Hi,

Thanks for your answears. i just forgot a little thing to mention. I want to run the vi continously with file path integrated in the vi.

the xml-file gets new data every minute and the vi should always get the new data.

thank you so far,

thomas

Well, then it would be natural to use a 'While Loop' around your code. If you want the path to be constand, you can use a 'Path Constant' on your diagram. Once a second (use 'Wait (ms)') you could check if the datafile's time/date has changed, and reread the file if it has. More information about loops, delays, and file operations can be found in the examples installed along with LabVIEW (Help/Find Examples...).

• 2 weeks later...

ZITAT(Mikkel @ Mar 5 2007, 03:56 PM)

Well, then it would be natural to use a 'While Loop' around your code. If you want the path to be constant, you can use a 'Path Constant' on your diagram. Once a second (use 'Wait (ms)') you could check if the datafile's time/date has changed, and reread the file if it has. More information about loops, delays, and file operations can be found in the examples installed along with LabVIEW (Help/Find Examples...).

Hi,

i put the path now into the vi, but i still got the same failure notice. the german ni support told me, it runs without problems.

has anybody a solution?

Thanks a lot.

Thomas

QUOTE(frentzen @ Mar 14 2007, 12:28 PM)

i put the path now into the vi, but i still got the same failure notice. the german ni support told me, it runs without problems.

has anybody a solution?

I tried your VI, and it gave an error (you should really check the error outputs) stating that temproot was NULL.

To make your VI run without this error, I had to fix the file name from "Mean[1].20061013_123043.xml" to "Mean.20061013_123043.xml".

Hope this helps.

/J

ZITAT(JFM @ Mar 14 2007, 01:39 PM)

I tried your VI, and it gave an error (you should really check the error outputs) stating that temproot was NULL.

To make your [wiki]VI[/wiki] run without this error, I had to fix the file name from "Mean[1].20061013_123043.xml" to "Mean.20061013_123043.xml".

Hope this helps.

/J

That really helps. Thanks a lot.