Fast FTP Transfer with RT

lraynal

Hi,

I need to transfer file in both ways between a computer with LabVIEW RT inside and a computer with Windows and LabVIEW 7.1.

I tried the Internet Toolkit, but the transfer speed is pretty slow... (4.54 seconds to transfer the NI-RT.INI file !!!)

I tried a quicker way (0.054 seconds !) using the FTP command (via the SystemExec.vi), but can't copy directly my RT file to my D: drive !

Does anyone has experience in FTP Transfer with RT target ?

What is the best solution?

Thanks for your precious help!

Laurent

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 6 2007, 09:57 AM)

I tried the Internet Toolkit, but the transfer speed is pretty slow... (4.54 seconds to transfer the NI-RT.INI file !!!)

I tried a quicker way (0.054 seconds !) using the FTP command (via the SystemExec.vi), but can't copy directly my RT file to my D: drive !

I agree with TiT, one thing to try is to disable active transfers -- It will probably be less headache in the long run too in case you move to a network which has a firewall and doesn't support active FTP.

Other than that, I've also seen huge speed improvements from the 7.1 internet toolkit to the 8.20 version. I'm doing a project now that I'm transfering hundreds of MBs of data from a RT system to a Windows Host, and I'm getting great speeds using 8.20. I was quite scared it having seen the extremely slow transfer rates in 7.1 before. I'm not sure what changed between the versions, but I'm convinced that something happened! :)

CITATION(tcplomp @ Mar 6 2007, 05:58 PM)

I've had some issues with FTP and a RT PXI chassis. We had 2 laptops and 2 PXIs and one configuration (PXI1-laptop2) didn't have a higher speed than 100 kb/s... While the others reached easily the theoretical maximum of 12 mb/s....

Ton

This is surprising... I had an issue of that kind (same hardware configuration, but different transfert rate over the network).

The system was composed of 6 PXI chassis (4 RT and 2 windows) plus an ethernet printer. We have 4 of these systems running in different factories ; 3 of them work without any problem and on 1, the network load is so heavy that some data are sent end never received. We spend a whole week trying to find out what was causing such a network load without success...

Quite anoying ! When removing the printer, the system was working fine (I mean data sent between the PXIs were always received), When replacing the printer by another one resulted in data loss.

Maybe a defect in an ethernet controler could slow down the entire network, no ?

QUOTE(Jeff Plotzke @ Mar 6 2007, 10:27 AM)

Other than that, I've also seen huge speed improvements from the 7.1 internet toolkit to the 8.20 version. I'm doing a project now that I'm transfering hundreds of MBs of data from a RT system to a Windows Host, and I'm getting great speeds using 8.20. :)

How has this affected determinancy for you on RT?

Have you been able to do this transfer while running DAQmx IO at the same time on the PXI chassis?

If you are running time-critical loops, do you stop them to do the data transfers or do you stream at the same time?

I'm in a current project where this matters, so thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hi;

I have the samilar problem as you...

It's not that slow, but still slower than I want.

Using the internet toolkit, http file transfers are blazingly fast. Transfers of hundreds of kilobytes appear instantaneous.

Now the bad news is ftp from labview Rt is slow, though in this case, I have decided to use it as it's used only for my application installer,

and appears quite slow. Though I have a http facility I can use build in, I want the installer to be very generic, such that other ftp tools could even be used to install the application.

Now the good news.

One thing that may speed things up a bit is not to use binary mode transfer for every thing.

A second method is to transfer many files simultaneously... many commercial tools do this.

The third method is to use the dos transfer tool build into windows(dos command line)

You can call it from labview RT. I have had some problems with this approach though as

sometimes my large transfers(even in binary mode) were truncated

good luck

Walters

Spinx

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 6 2007, 02:57 PM)

Hi,

I need to transfer file in both ways between a computer with LabVIEW RT inside and a computer with Windows and LabVIEW 7.1.

Does anyone has experience in FTP Transfer with RT target ?

What is the best solution?

Thanks for your precious help!

Laurent

• 1 month later...

Hi;

Simply setting the TCP transfer to passive mode solves this slowness problem...

My installation upload time went from 16 minutes to 1:40 seconds !

Walters

QUOTE(wallyabcd @ May 22 2007, 11:59 AM)

Hi;

I have the samilar problem as you...

It's not that slow, but still slower than I want.

Using the internet toolkit, http file transfers are blazingly fast. Transfers of hundreds of kilobytes appear instantaneous.

Now the bad news is ftp from labview Rt is slow, though in this case, I have decided to use it as it's used only for my application installer,

and appears quite slow. Though I have a http facility I can use build in, I want the installer to be very generic, such that other ftp tools could even be used to install the application.

Now the good news.

One thing that may speed things up a bit is not to use binary mode transfer for every thing.

A second method is to transfer many files simultaneously... many commercial tools do this.

The third method is to use the dos transfer tool build into windows(dos command line)

You can call it from labview RT. I have had some problems with this approach though as

sometimes my large transfers(even in binary mode) were truncated

good luck

Walters

Spinx