LV vs others

Hello,

I wonder why LV doesn't get acceptance by other programmer. The most of people are sceptic if I say LV is assimilable to other programming languages. I find LV is very great and makes some things easier.

Why to drive bike if there are motorbike.

Greetings, Eugen

CITATION(Eugen Graf @ Mar 8 2007, 11:37 AM)

Hello,

I wonder why LV doesn't get acceptance by other programmer. The most of people are sceptic if I say LV is assimilable to other programming languages. I find LV is very great and makes some things easier.

Why to drive bike if there are motorbike.

Greetings, Eugen

I totally agree with you Eugen, I often meet C/C++ "veterans" who've been doing more or less the same kind of project as I do and they concider that developing with LabVIEW is not really working... They say I'm doing nice drawings but not doing real professional job.

Maybe LabVIEW is just too accessible/time saving for them, I once challenged them to start from scratch a small app and see who gets it done first. In the end they argued that I was not "controlling things deeply as much as they do".

They pretend to be driving the Ferrarri (C/C++) against a New Beetle (LabVIEW).

For those (like me) who have never been behind Ferrarri (I mean a real one) steering wheel, I can tell you it requires a very long and specific training just to be able to move of 1 cm, and driving in town... don't think about it, it's a nightmare !

And it takes no more than 5 minutes for a normal driver to get use to a New Beetle.

QUOTE(TiT @ Mar 8 2007, 12:58 PM)

For those (like me) who have never been behind Ferrarri (I mean a real one) steering wheel, I can tell you it requires a very long and specific training just to be able to move of 1 cm, and driving in town... don't think about it, it's a nightmare !

And it takes no more than 5 minutes for a normal driver to get use to a New Beetle.

I drove a Ferrari in our windtunnel, and you don't need that much time to learn... but you need a lot of time to earn...

Although I don't spend too much time wondering what other programmers think of me or the language I choose for developing in, I have encountered similar circumstances. People who work in C/C++ tend to have that disposition, Eugen. They are equally, if not more, critical of VB programmers. Their assertions are based on the idea that C/C++ requires you to build most aspects of your program from the 'ground up'. However, ask them what headers they use? Did they make the header or are they using something someone else did? Also, one of the great strengths of LabVIEW is that it is easy to make cross-platform applications. How often do they even attempt that in C/C++? When they do how much extra work is that?

There are definitely advantages to using C/C++ over LabVIEW. For example, the ability to make Win API calls that return STRUCT data types. LabVIEW will not always work with these data types (especially STRUCT data types that contain other STRUCT data types). However, the ease of development and handy tools to make development swift and reliable far exceed, in my opinion, other shortcomings.

Hi,

my colleague always laughs at LabVIEW. He says that I'm just painting pictures similar to powerpoint foils. He prefers HP Basic where he is "close to the hardware".

I'm glad that LabVIEW is close to the hardware so if have time to program the important things :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

QUOTE(Ulrich @ Mar 8 2007, 09:52 AM)

Hi,

my colleague always laughs at LabVIEW. He says that I'm just painting pictures similar to powerpoint foils. He prefers HP Basic where he is "close to the hardware".

I'm glad that LabVIEW is close to the hardware so if have time to program the important things :)

Ouch! HP Basic! I thought that is dead for a long time. I have never been a fan of any Basic, but HP Basic was definitely not the best one I've seen.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Jun 12 2007, 05:17 AM)

I have never been a fan of any Basic, ...

I used basic on my first engineering project out of school, then was considering VB for then next when LabVIEW 2.5.2 came out on Windoze and I never looked back. Since then when I've used text based languages it has usually been only to provide some optimized code for LabVIEW to call (with one or two exceptions).

But HP Basic and Rocky Mountain Basic have been great friends of mine over the past 15 years, mainly by providing fertile ground for consulting projects to replace them with LabVIEW versions of the same application :thumbup:

QUOTE(Ulrich @ Mar 9 2007, 12:52 AM)

Your colleague is ignorant: LabVIEW allows you to be as close, or as far away, from the hardware as you are comfortable with.

QUOTE(rolfk @ Jun 12 2007, 05:17 AM)

Ouch! HP Basic! I thought that is dead for a long time. I have never been a fan of any Basic, but HP Basic was definitely not the best one I've seen.

Rolf Kalbermatter

BASIC is a sentimental favorite of mine. I learned it years ago on my Commodore Vic 20. I knew I loved to program ... but was stuck in the world of hardware engineering. Then I discovered LV in '96. :thumbup: Now I can do both. :D

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ Jun 12 2007, 05:10 AM)

But HP Basic and Rocky Mountain Basic have been great friends of mine over the past 15 years, mainly by providing fertile ground for consulting projects to replace them with LabVIEW versions of the same application

Amen, brother! I'm right in the middle of a virtual HPBasic plethora, and I plan to be around to replace them all with LabVIEW when all the old geezers here retire!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :ninja:

Oops.... did I type that out loud...? :unsure:SYSBOOT ... ... SYSBOOT!!!! TRACE OFF!!! Blast these infernal PCs and their lack of obedience! Where's SHIFT-RESET on this thing???

QUOTE(PaulG. @ Jun 12 2007, 08:30 AM)

BASIC is a sentimental favorite of mine. I learned it years ago on my Commodore Vic 20. I knew I loved to program ... but was stuck in the world of hardware engineering. Then I discovered LV in '96. :thumbup: Now I can do both. :D

Ohh those good old days with my C64. But then I didn't really do much with it's Basic. Was learning Pascal for my vocational education and didn't feel Basic could keep up with it. Even dabbled into C64 assembly for a short amount to try to do the really funny things, but my younger brother was way better at that.

Later did a Turbo Pascal program during an internship and immediately after that got exposed to LabVIEW in 1992 and felt at easy with it the first instant. Even did at some point rewrite in LabVIEW the app I had done for the most part of my 4 months internship in something like half a day. Of course it had been an app reading in acquired data from binary disk files and displaying them in a wafeform graph. Doing that in Turbo Pascal had been a major thing to do as I had to write the code to draw a complete waveform graph on screen and then rewrite it to a plotter in HPGL. Ok I didn't do the HPGL part in LabVIEW :-) at all. Printing out the front panel was good enough.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(PaulG. @ Jun 12 2007, 09:30 AM)
BASIC is a sentimental favorite of mine. I learned it years ago on my Commodore Vic 20.
I can agree here. I'm all for sentiment, but, like Linus' security blanket, eventually we put it away, or at least transform it into a sports coat...

QUOTE(orko @ Jun 12 2007, 11:51 AM)

Amen, brother! I'm right in the middle of a virtual HPBasic plethora, and I plan to be around to replace them all with LabVIEW when all the old geezers here retire!!! ...

I may try to join you eventually. I grew up in Washington, amongst real mountains and trees. I keep looking for an excuse to move back, or at least as far west as Colorado, which, rumor has it, also includes a few real mountains and trees.

But by the time we get ready to retire we won't need LabVIEW programmers to rewrite Basic code anyway.

:(

I have never discovered a programming language that can do what I need it to do, and be as quick, and easy to use as LabVIEW. No language is perfect, but for me and what I need from a programming language, LabVIEW is the only choice.

And when ever any one questions LabVIEW's abilities, I always ask them to write a Hello World program, in LabVIEW it takes me less than 15 seconds to create and run a hello world program. Some languages would take longer than 15 seconds just to compile it. Also it's troubleshooting abilities are amazing. I learned to program with LabVIEW, then when I went to Java I had a huge difficulty in finding where problems were. With LabVIEW just highlight execution and you can see exactly what is happening.

ZITAT(crelf @ Jun 12 2007, 03:02 PM)

Your colleague is ignorant: LabVIEW allows you to be as close, or as far away, from the hardware as you are comfortable with.

You're absolutly right with Labview, but my colleague doesn't want to have it comfortable . :D

He prefers to program 30 minutes for a XY Graph rather then to have the same result in Labview after 2 minutes :yes:

(that's fun with him, we are joking every day)

have a nice weekend

Uli

• 10 months later...

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Apr 25 2008, 04:57 AM)

Woo Hoo! Moved up to #31!

That represents about a 30% increase in the numerical Rating!

Also, their headline is interesting...

Lua hype seems to be over (fallen out of top 20). What is next? Groovy, Erlang?

Any hope our little baby can crack the top 20 before either of those?