MediaWiki on LAVA!

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 18 2007, 01:25 AM)

Also, as a bonus! If you create a forum post that contains words that exist as [wiki]LAVA[/wiki] Wiki pages, the system will automatically linkify the words to the Wiki pages. For example:

I love [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] and I also like using [wiki]State Machines[/wiki] very much.

Michael: I've noticed that there are no wiki links in old topics. It appears that the tags are added when the page is edited. Is there a way to add wiki links in old topics (rebuild wiki links)? Can this be done on a semi-regular basis (e.g., a cron job)?

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 19 2007, 09:20 AM)

That would be really good - as long as the original post date was preserved.

QUOTE(Jeff Plotzke @ Mar 19 2007, 09:01 AM)

I think I need to add wiki articles for the words 'a' and 'the' -- Articles would have a ton of links!

That'd be an interesting metric: the number of automatically linkified wiki links in a member's posts - sort of like how "general" your posting is :)

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 18 2007, 12:47 PM)

This probably won't be implemented anytime soon.

QUOTE(yen @ Mar 18 2007, 12:51 PM)

Now I just need to see whether this applies to all subtopics as well.

There is no such thing as subtopic on a wiki. Articles and pages just exist. They are just linked to by other pages.

QUOTE(Jeff Plotzke @ Mar 18 2007, 04:01 PM)

:P

Go ahead, those articles are good candidates for speedy deletion. That's my next task... guidlines.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 18 2007, 04:20 PM)

Michael: I've noticed that there are no wiki links in old topics. It appears that the tags are added when the page is edited. Is there a way to add wiki links in old topics (
rebuild
wiki links)? Can this be done on a semi-regular basis (
e.g.
, a cron job)?

There is no way to do this at the moment, but I will put it on my list of things to look into.

QUOTE(Aitor Solar @ Mar 19 2007, 02:59 AM)

Automatic wikification results in strange things when the wikified word already was inside a link. For example, try:

http://ni.com' target="_blank">The [wiki]NI[/wiki] page

The first part of the external link goes to ni.com, the "NI" goes to wiki and the end doesn't go anywhere. I would prefer links are not wikified. The same applies to codeboxes.

Saludos,

Aitor

Well, yes, I figured it would eventualy come to this. You can never please all the people all the time. I will turn off the automatic feature however you can still use the manual BBCODE when you need it.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 19 2007, 08:09 PM)

You can never please all the people all the time.

IMHO that's not a case of trying to please all the people, that's a blatant bug. Linkification should not be applied where links already exist. It's a real shame that you have to turn off linkification - I was really looking forward to it improving the SNR on LAVA.

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 18 2007, 05:38 PM)
Check out [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] - it rocks!
While I agree that [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] rocks, the [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] Wiki page content is a tad out of date, like stating that 7.0 is the latest version. Oh wait, thats what edits are for. :)

QUOTE(Mike Ashe @ Mar 19 2007, 05:59 AM)

Yes, please be bold and improve the articles where you see fit.

QUOTE(eaolson @ Mar 19 2007, 07:38 AM)

I think the LabVIEW-focused wiki is a great idea. Just don't forget there are Wikipedia articles for
LabVIEW
OpenG
, and even
Jim Kring

Yes, there are three pages on Wikipedia. I think [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] deserves better than that. This is not Wikipedia, this is better. It's the ultimate collection of all [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] knowledge.

I started adding some user boxes to the Wiki. These are just simple templates with preformatted text you can add to your user profile. When you add it, it automatically adds you to that category. Just add the following snipet of Wiki code to your page:

{{LabVIEW Champion}}

Produces:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5241

{{LAVA Premium Member}}

Produces:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5242

{{NI Employee}}

Produces:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5243

I also Added:

{{Certified LabVIEW Architect}}

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5245

{{Certified LabVIEW Developer}}

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5246

Perhaps someone can add:

OpenG Developer?

• 1 month later...

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 19 2007, 12:09 PM)

Well, yes, I figured it would eventualy come to this. You can never please all the people all the time. I will turn off the automatic feature however you can still use the manual BBCODE when you need it.

Michael too bad you had to turn it off, do you think there is a workaround for that?

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ May 2 2007, 03:09 AM)

Michael too bad you had to turn it off, do you think there is a workaround for that?

You know, I miss it too. At first I was against it as it seemed like noise, but I've come around to appreciate the idea of wikifying posts as a way for people to get instant access to definitions that they don't understand, rather than cluttering up the thread by asking questions that could be answered by a quick link...