Big Brother LAVA

Hi all!

I love LAVA, I try to throw an eye every day and to help as much as I can...

But every new update scares me!

We can know who else is looking at the same page as us, we can see which members came to have a look at our profile, we can trace almost everything,... and especially things we would like to be able to do without a trace!!!

If we use the Arcade game, everybody knows at what time and how many time did we spent on it (luckily I'm the only one from my firm using LAVA...)

I'm now afraid to go through the entire LAVA, and to check things...

Am I the only one?

Is there a way to lower these capabilities (which are good for the moderator, but not really good (I think) for the others!).

Don't want a Big Brother LAVA, do you?

laurent

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 23 2007, 12:03 AM)

We can know who else is looking at the same page as us, we can see which members came to have a look at our profile, we can trace almost everything,...

I'd never really thought about this before, but I think you're right. Metrics are all very important, but I don't think they need to be presented by username. For example: at the bottom of this page are metrics on who is looking at this topic (eg: x members, y visitors, etc) - that's nice to see, but do we really need to see user's names in that list?

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 22 2007, 08:03 AM)

I'd never really thought about this before, but I think you're right. Metrics are all very important, but I don't think they need to be presented by username. For example: at the bottom of this page are metrics on who is looking at this topic (eg: x members, y visitors, etc) - that's nice to see, but do we really need to see user's names in that list?

Actually I like this one.

I pretty much dislike all the others (such as: who has seen a profile today, the arcades stat history [it would be ok if only a given user could see his/her history though]...).

PJM

QUOTE(crelf @ Mar 22 2007, 08:03 AM)

There is a forum feature (which is not currently enabled) that shows an "anonymous" checkbox on the log in screen. This option allows users to log in "anonymously", and as a result their name will not appear in the list of logged in users -- however, it seems that Michael has not enabled this setting. But, I don't see what the big fuss is. This is a community -- it's nice to know who is participating, even if they're just reading the same post as me.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 22 2007, 05:39 PM)

There is a forum feature (which is not currently enabled) that shows an "anonymous" checkbox on the log in screen. This option allows users to log in "anonymously", and as a result their name will not appear in the list of logged in users -- however, it seems that Michael has not enabled this setting. But, I don't see what the big fuss is. This is a community -- it's nice to know who is participating, even if they're just reading the same post as me.

I agree with Jim. After all you can always select a nick that doesn't tell anything about who you really are.

I see all points valid here.

If you work at a company and a coworker knows you're on this site, and even who you are (maybe you recommended it to him) or they're even a member, they could use that information against you if you have a falling out or if they have a hidden agenda.

But, being LabVIEW programmers, we're all interested in metrics and statistics. I think each member has their own responsibility to make themselves as anonymous as they deem comfortable (posting company names, using real names, posting personal info). Just like you would on any other site on the internet.

I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of feature that allows you to be more anonymous, but if that's not implemented, perhaps another nickname (as Tomi suggested) would be a better avenue.

QUOTE(Bryan @ Mar 22 2007, 08:50 AM)

If you work at a company and a coworker knows you're on this site, and even who you are (maybe you recommended it to him) or they're even a member, they could use that information against you if you have a falling out or if they have a hidden agenda.

Maybe that's a good sign that one is not working for the right company ;)

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 22 2007, 07:03 AM)

If we use the Arcade game, everybody knows at what time and how many time did we spent on it...
I think it's a shame that someone from NI has the #1 spot in the Arcade! Where are all the non-NI LAVA members? C'mon guys, this is embarrassing. We have to knock Darren from his perch. This should be our goal as a group...

...in addition to adding content on the LabVIEW Wiki of course. ;) .

Hey now, the fact that I work at NI has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm totally pwning all of you in the LAVA arcade...

-D

P.S. - And to further fuel the flames, I will go on record as saying that there is NO WAY you people can EVER dethrone me as the LAVA arcade champion. NO WAY! Well, I guess you'd have a chance if Michael reset all my scores... :)

QUOTE(Darren @ Mar 22 2007, 05:00 PM)

Hey now, the fact that I work at NI has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm totally pwning all of you in the LAVA arcade...

True. But the fact that you're totally pwning the arcade has a great deal to do with the fact that you work at NI. It's a little known fact that all our candidates for hire must be able to demonstrate competency on at least one game in the LAVA arcade. :P

Having said that, yes, I do wish some of the metrics about "time spent playing" were less available.

And if we could discuss about the first topic of this thread???

Congratulation Darren, you are far away from all of us... and I tried!!!! But, when I told about the arcade game, it was an example, of how far we can be traced (I don't care about people knowing as many time I'm playing as long as I'm doing my job correctly).

I continue to think that some traces are not really "nice" to know or to see... OK the one telling who are looking at the same subject as us is quiet interresting... but some are definitely too much.

But looking at your answers, I should be the only one not really appreciating this kind of behavior...

So long life to Big Brother!!! or else, create a pool asking the "community" (which are not only the 10th people who are sending the maximum of post...)

laurent

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Mar 22 2007, 12:00 PM)

Maybe that's a good sign that one is not working for the right company ;)

Very true!

Dammit, why can't any of you guys be located in Central VA? There's no decent LabVIEW jobs around here. *GRRR*

QUOTE(Bryan @ Mar 23 2007, 09:31 PM)

Solution: move! :D

QUOTE(lraynal @ Mar 23 2007, 06:16 PM)

But looking at your answers, I should be the only one not really appreciating this kind of behavior... So long life to Big Brother!!!

Not so fast - I think we really need to talk more about this - what metrics really are useful for all users to see, and not just mildy entertaining? As a scientist, I agree that I *like* to see the data, but as a LAVA member I certainly don't *need* to see a lot of the stuff being presented to me. THe only metrics that I find useful are number of posts, number of files in the LAVAcr, years using LabVIEW and the version(s) used, and the number of views of a topic. Do we really want any of the others?