New LabVIEW user wanting to understand chart / graphing data..

Hey guys,

I am somewhat new to LabVIEW (been looking into it a few years but only this year became serious!) and may word things incorrectly, if so - my apologies in advance. I may also have a hard time explaining what I need as I am basing it around what I believe LabVIEW can do for me and this is all off memory.

I am trying to put together a chart that will contain 5 plots and updates every 15 minutes. I am also using an event handler to handle the timeouts/refreshes and gives the user the option to do other things with my code still running for the query...

The plots I am using are derived from SQL code (output array / index array / decimal string to number) for the top 5 failures of a specific hardware platform (failures such as no power, no video, etc... - out of 20).. I would like each plot to be labeled by the particular failure (I extract this from the array) but the 5 failures can change over time because this code is giving me the top data from 20 different failures with the failures sorted in SQL by "top failure amount" in descending order. This is where I run into issues, I do not know how to display these 5 plots correctly and if any given 1 changes how to update the plot and account for (show) the change... I am assuming the change would mean a different color plot would come into place and if so, would the history account for this change correctly?

Can anyone tell me a good way to chart data (5 plots)with history and if labels can be given by an extracted string from an array. The plots need to be able to change over time as the failures will change.

Last but not least, does it seem like I am taking the correct approach to this? My boss pretty much told me he wanted a graphical chart listing the top 5 failures that is refreshed every 15 minutes (in case something out of the ordinary pops in). Am I "over" thinking this too much? What am I missing? (Aside from any listed code ;) ) Did I also mention I am brain fried??

Thanks for any input, it is deeply appreciated!

Respectfully,

TVO

Given your slow update rate (1/(15*60) Hz) AND the fact that the history can change, meaning you anyway have to trace the history yourself, I'd go for a graph.

This means you have to update the graph totally every 15 mins.

To edit the names of the plot select the Active Plot property with the index of the plot-line, and then set the Active Plot.Name property.

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Mar 27 2007, 11:44 PM)

" select the Active Plot property with the index of the plot-line, and then set the Active Plot.Name property."

This really helped out a bunch, took me a little time to figure out as I wasn't sure on the "property", but I figured out it was a property node and I was suprised to see how much can be accessed there. I bet these can be pretty powerful! Now my last step is to assign a particular color for each failcode (each failcode will have its own plot), so the plot will change color during it running (if I look at history the coloras will change depending on what data is being shown).. Any idea or direction to lend here?

Thanks again for the above help, it really got me out of a bind. I can see I have a whole new world opened up now (with the introduction of property nodes!) I am new to programming in general, so this is all pretty exciting...

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Mar 28 2007, 03:22 PM)

ActivePlot.color

A good place to start is right click on a property and select help, then go one level up (property of ......) you'll have the possibility of a lot of plot related properties!

Ton

Wat is dit, Ton? Draag je LAVA op U3 met je mee? Ik wil geen posts van je zien als je op vakantie bent, hoor! Tenzij het over Nieuw Zeeland gaat! :blink: