How did your 8.2.1 upgrade go?

If you've installed 8.2.1, already, please post here and let us all know how it went.

Thanks,

I had no problems during the actual installation. Total time to install was about two hours.

In the two hours since installing, I have found some problems.

• The report generation llb "NIReports.llb" was over written over the standard llb. Make a backup of this file before installing if you use the Report Generation Toolkit.
  • Traditional NI-DAQ VIs were removed from my 7.1 installation.

QUOTE(gleichman @ Apr 9 2007, 02:51 PM)

• The report generation llb "NIReports.llb" was over written over the standard llb. Make a backup of this file before installing if you use the Report Generation Toolkit.

There are other Report Generation Toolkit LLBs that get overwritten by the 8.2.1 install besides NIReport.llb. I recommend uninstalling the toolkit first, then installing 8.2.1, then reinstalling the toolkit (this problem is mentioned in the 8.2.1 readme).

-D

P.S. - We are looking at ways to ease the LabVIEW/RGT integration pains in a future LabVIEW version.

For some reason after my upgrade to 8.2.1 the source builds from old project files always error out. I created a new project from scratch (one VI, very simple) and the source build worked fine. I tried creating a new source build in my upgraded project file but that errored out too.

Each time the error said that it could not find one of the VIs in the project tree and that I should recompile the VI. Recompiling did not help and the VI definitely exists. I haven't had time to delve into this any further, but we use Source distributions to send clients a copy of their code all the time, so it is kind of important.

Labview 8.20 actually had a weird change in the source build where the "preserve hierarchy" option would build using relative paths instead of absolute. I was kind of hoping that would be fixed, but now it looks as if source build has gotten even less predictable.

-JodyK

Have you tried mass compiling your old project?

QUOTE(JodyK @ Apr 11 2007, 04:35 PM)

For some reason after my upgrade to 8.2.1 the source builds from old project files always error out. I created a new project from scratch (one VI, very simple) and the source build worked fine. I tried creating a new source build in my upgraded project file but that errored out too.

Each time the error said that it could not find one of the VIs in the project tree and that I should recompile the VI. Recompiling did not help and the VI definitely exists. I haven't had time to delve into this any further, but we use Source distributions to send clients a copy of their code all the time, so it is kind of important.

Labview 8.20 actually had a weird change in the source build where the "preserve hierarchy" option would build using relative paths instead of absolute. I was kind of hoping that would be fixed, but now it looks as if source build has gotten even less predictable.

-JodyK

I don't know if it is just me, but 8.2.1 is behaving far more unstable that 8.2, at least on one of my machines. IIRC I had one or two crashes with 8.2. Since I installed 8.2.1 this week, some minutes ago it just crashed for the 5th time. This has happened on different applications, however I am working with big data files and LV was usually using more than 500MB of memory then. Maybe that was the reason? I'm glad that 8.2.1 fixed some annoying GUI property update issues, though.

Regards.

QUOTE(Pablo Bleyer @ Apr 12 2007, 01:35 PM)

I don't know if it is just me, but 8.2.1 is behaving far more unstable that 8.2, at least on one of my machines. IIRC I had one or two crashes with 8.2. Since I installed 8.2.1 this week, some minutes ago it just crashed for the 5th time. This has happened on different applications, however I am working with big data files and LV was usually using more than 500MB of memory then. Maybe that was the reason? I'm glad that 8.2.1 fixed some annoying GUI property update issues, though.

Regards.

I haven't seen this behavior and I've done some very, very large builds.

QUOTE(gleichman @ Apr 9 2007, 03:51 PM)

......Total time to install was about two hours.......

Seems long since a fresh 8.2 install (not an upgrade) takes like 30 minutes. Did that time include mass compiling all your old VIs? Does the install give you the option to mass compile, or does it recommend it when you start 8.2.1 for the first time?

:beer:

Richard

The 8.2.1 installer is a full installer, so all of the VIs it installs are already mass compiled in 8.2.1. The install takes longer than an 8.20 install since the 8.2.1 installer actually uninstalls each 8.20 component before it installs the 8.2.1 components.

-D

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Apr 12 2007, 05:45 PM)

I haven't seen this behavior and I've done some very, very large builds.

My builds and VIs are not large. My data files are. (~400 CSV files, each consisting of a capture of 5-20 variables at a 20ms rate for a bunch of hours). Plenty of double array builds and preprocessing filters over them. Albeit optimised they obviously generate a lot of memory usage. I guess there must be internal memory leaks somewhere that are being triggered by my code.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get it to work yet :(

I've tried every combination of install and I still get database errors in daqmx. Labview 8.2 / Nidaq 8.3 works fine. Labview 8.2.1 / Nidaq 8.5 can not detect any daq hardware in my machine. I have been talking to NI support for going on 2 weeks and haven't made any headway yet.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Apr 8 2007, 08:39 PM)

I haven't upgraded to 8.2.1, yet, and I'm wondering how it went for everyone else? Any problems during the install? Any new issues? Should I go ahead and take the plunge?

If you've installed 8.2.1, already, please post here and let us all know how it went.

Thanks,

I reviewed the list of bug fixes, and believe it or not, I did not find any that were relevant to any of my 8.2 software. So for now, the 8.2.1 upgrade will sit on my shelf.

I have a question about the LV 8.2.1 Installation:

An AE at the Hannover Industry Trade Fair told me, to install 8.2.1 in parallel to 8.20. When I start the LV 8.2.1. installer, it seems, it wants to replace 8.20.

Have you installed in parallel or replaced 8.20?

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 26 2007, 02:07 AM)

I have a question about the LV 8.2.1 Installation:

An AE at the Hannover Industry Trade Fair told me, to install 8.2.1 in parallel to 8.20. When I start the LV 8.2.1. installer, it seems, it wants to replace 8.20.

Have you installed in parallel or replaced 8.20?

The AE was wrong or you misunderstood. 8.2.1 installs to replace 8.2.

Are VIs saved in 8.2.1 fully openable and editable in the 8.2 development system? Thanks.

Yep, I tried it this morning actually to make sure. A VI that you save in 8.2.1 can be opened and edited in 8.2 just fine. Every file that you open in 8.2 though does think it needs to be resaved, so this could be an inconvience if loading lots of file.

Dave