Looking for an easy way to get started with version control? Use

Not to take anything away from Jim, but to add to his post.

If you like SVN, here is a quick way of setting up a SVN server for your Windows machines:

All you will need is cygwin distribution. cygwin is Unix/Linux commands for window, it also contains Xserver and other stuff as well. When I get any new computer cygwin is the first thing I put on it. you can download it from cygwin.com.

These instructions will install the SVN server as a service on your windows, meaning the compter can run headless in a corner somewhere with minimum administration. Once the service is up and running you can use TortoiseSVN as your client and use the SVN user manual:

once you have downloaded and installed cygwin, follow these steps:

Assumptions:

c:\Cygwin - cygwin installation directory

d:\SVN_Repositories - SVN repository folder for your projects

1: Go to Run (Start | Run) and type: c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe

2: in the opened bash command window type:

2.1: svnadmin create D:\\SVN_Repositories

2.2: cygrunsrv --install SvnServe --chdir D:\\SVN_Repositories --path c:\\cygwin\\bin\\svnserve.exe --args "--foreground --daemon --root=/cygdrive/d/SVN_Repositories" --desc "Subversion System" --neverexits

3: Run the "SvnServe" Service from the control-panel ( Services): Only for the first time

4: To access the project in your SVN repositories:

Actual Folder path: d:\SVN_Repositories\ProjectLAVA

svn checkout path: svn://ComputerName/ProjectLAVA

Enjoy!

QUOTE(sam @ Apr 13 2007, 10:37 AM)

Thanks for the info, I only seen the the installer that has the SVNServer running in application mode. I admit this one is easier than my way. But because I install cygwin on all me computers svn server comes as free for me.

I like the cygwin approach -- if you already use cygwin, then it's a great way to go for setting up an svn server. However, for users that don't have cygwin, the setup process plus ~100MB disk footprint make it a less attractive solution.

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Apr 12 2007, 11:07 AM)

This is a great way using the local file protocol that SubVersion supports. However as of SubVersion 1.4 and higher you also have the option to setup an SVN server as service under Windows, which makes it startup and run automatically without even a user needing to be logged in.

It does require a small amount of command line typing but is not really difficult at all. You just need to get the binary package of SubVersion for Windows and do the attached steps.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(Jim Kring @ Apr 14 2007, 09:43 AM)

Hmm, I tried that and it failed to install Tourtoise. Also that installer does nothing to install svnserve as a service in Windows, which is the main point in my post.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Apr 14 2007, 02:29 PM)

Hmm, I tried that and it failed to install Tourtoise. Also that installer does nothing to install svnserve as a service in Windows, which is the main point in my post.

I take above statement back. It seems to also install svnserve as a service although not with the settings I would have wanted. And it doesn't recognice that there is already such a service installed which results in an unusable SVN server due to TCP/IP port conflicts.

Why the TortoiseSVN installation failed I'm not sure. Maybe because I had already installed it. Anyway it left TortoiseSVN on my system in an unusable state so I had to manually remove it and reinstall it from the TortoiseSVN site.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the info.

As an aside, all of these extra issues are one of the main reasons for my article -- it can take a bit of work to get an subversion server working, perfectly :)

Thanks,

-Jim