Bad post button

Hi,

I've an improvement suggestion to the forum. Let's add a new button besides "Quote" and "Reply". Pressing this button would post an automatic reply to the post that states that the post was not informative enough and guides how to post to LAVA the right way, locks the thread, moves it to new "sand box" forum and emails the poster about the change. The button would be available for premium members only to avoid misusage by Nulllllls and alike. Perhaps a "hand with thumb down" would be a good icon for this new button.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 21 2007, 06:42 AM)

Hi,

I've an improvement suggestion to the forum. Let's add a new button besides "Quote" and "Reply". Pressing this button would post an automatic reply to the post that states that the post was not informative enough and guides how to post to LAVA the right way, locks the thread, moves it to new "sand box" forum and emails the poster about the change. The button would be available for premium members only to avoid misusage by Nulllllls and alike. Perhaps a "hand with thumb down" would be a good icon for this new button.

I like this idea.

PJM

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Apr 22 2007, 04:15 AM)

I like this idea.

I don't. I think you're mixing up the roles and responsibilities of a Premium Member versus an Administrator or Moderator. As a Premium Member myself, I really appreciate the other Premium Members want to get involved - that's excellent, but IMO these abilities should be limited to Admins and Mods only, and not released to Premium Members. That said, maybe what you're actually asking for is Mod status? Maybe ask Mike if you can be a Moderator...

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 22 2007, 12:03 AM)

That said, maybe what you're actually asking for is Mod status? Maybe ask Mike if you can be a Moderator...

Leaving the moderation task as a responsibility of only few was exactly what I wanted to avoid. The idea was to get the community effort to moderation as well with a simple button. If others are not comfortable with this concept, then I can live without. Perhaps the system could require that a few users presses the button until the post gets moved.

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 22 2007, 06:17 PM)

Leaving the moderation task as a responsibility of only few was exactly what I wanted to avoid. The idea was to get the community effort to moderation as well with a simple button.

OK - I think I know what you're after now: you want a button that any user could press to suggest to the administrator that the post is somehow inappropriate for the forum that it's in - is that right? We've already got that - it's a button labelled "report" on the lower left side of the post. I figure a flag goes to the admin to check if the post's appropriate and then he/she can do whatever they like with it.

to be honest, this discussion makes me bash my head against the wall:

for a little more explanation: I'm active in bulletin boards since almost 12 years and almost every year someone in whichever forum is crying for moderation, because he/she feels embarrassed by NULL-posts. I have heard the arguments again and again and I know the result of such discussions: nothing will happen.

First, because obviously nobody wants to be the censor, who has to read each post carefully and check whether it may please a Premium Member or not - <ironic> or may be suitable for normal members but not for Premium Members ... </ironic> Second, because nobody in an internet forum really wants censorship. I am glad, that spam is removed, and that's enough.

Come on guys! We are big boys, use real expensive toys, are responsible for 100.000$ ++ testing systems therefore we should have the balls to withstand a few NULL posts and finally should be able to make usage of the ignore button - it's easy (trust me ;)) I've done this with alfa before and it works! :D

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 22 2007, 10:16 AM)

OK - I think I know what you're after now: you want a button that any user could press to suggest to the administrator that the post is somehow inappropriate for the forum that it's in - is that right? We've already got that - it's a button labelled "report" on the lower left side of the post. I figure a flag goes to the admin to check if the post's appropriate and then he/she can do whatever they like with it.

What if we had some way to flag a thread as "if you regularly answer LAVA questions, don't bother reading this thread until the original poster posts more information." Just a signifying mark that shows up in the "view new posts" display, and posts a generic template reply along the lines of

"Your post is incoherent and inscrutable. Your punctuation resembles line noise, and your grammer cannot be parsed by any known technique. What you apparently intended as mature information reads to others as the incoherent wailings of a wanton child. We invite you to try again in this thread, to clarify and elucidate, to rephrase and repost, in such a manner as the rest of the human race can attempt sentient communication. We presume you are capable of such communication. If you are actually a machine attempting the Turing Test for the first time, we congratulate you on your efforts but regret that they are insufficient at this time. Information that may help you learn how better to simulate a human posting to the forums may be found here."

And then link to that info. When the poster extends/edits the post, the mark would disappear.

Just a thought.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Apr 22 2007, 05:12 PM)

What if we had some way to flag a thread as "if you regularly answer LAVA questions, don't bother reading this thread until the original poster posts more information." Just a signifying mark that shows up in the "view new posts" display, and posts a generic template reply along the lines of

Just a thought.

although I like this thought, I'd like to ammend, that a flagged post just would make me curious ;)

what about the most simple method:

NULL answsers to NULL Posts? then it's like spitting in the ocean - one impact and the rest is history ... resp. the forum software would do the rest, if Michael has activated the "delete posts with no answers after X days" option in the forum settings.

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 22 2007, 08:00 PM)

Perhaps what we're all asking for here is (dare I say it?) a rating system for individual posts? (OK Chris, you've said it, now step back and enjoy the show...)

Let the show begin.

No, rating system will inform us that the post is nonse but will not inform the posters how they should behave. As people will then not reply to these posts, I guess we'll see angry Nulllllllllls who repost their posts. What we need is a easy to use way to inform the Nulllllllllllls that they are now not understanding how to post to LAVA and that either they should learn and retry or post to the other forums.

Tomi

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 22 2007, 07:09 PM)

As people will then not reply to these posts, I guess we'll see angry Nulllllllllls who repost their posts. What we need is a easy to use way to inform the Nulllllllllllls that they are now not understanding how to post to LAVA and that either they should learn and retry or post to the other forums.

ignore the repost, so, if they are really tough, they will repost maybe a third time, but then even the dumbest brick of all will have understood the message ... Whatever you try: you can not solve a social problem by technical means. Ok, maybe if you use a Smith&Wesson, but that's an other storry ;) So, if you are upset by NULL posts, let 'em know. Where's the problem? Is there really a need to hide behind a Button or a piece of software? I will not flame you, if you respond to a NULL post with some adequate words :)

Last but not least I'd like to ammend, that the largest thread and the thread, which is considered to be the funniest at LAVA by many users here is one, which is an absolute NULL post, you guess right, I mean that one, which has been started by our beloved guru alfa, the most advanced human beeing (according to his calculations) currently living in this world :D

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Apr 22 2007, 07:12 PM)

"Your post is incoherent and inscrutable. Your punctuation resembles line noise, and your grammer cannot be parsed by any known technique. What you apparently intended as mature information reads to others as the incoherent wailings of a wanton child.

Your father was a hamster, and your mother smelled of elderberries!

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 22 2007, 06:52 PM)

Please don't I'd like to think the following two none-replied posts of yours truly are actually worth reading:

Control.owner

XControls as ChildWindows

And all most CR posts have no answers.

So I think this is a bad method, I feel like Tomi's idea with some threshold? If a user got three bad grades for one perticular post it is 'sandboxed'. The grades have the duty to review the topic three days later and make a final statement!

Ton

PS I think it is just to coincidental that Asharma started just after this thread. I think Tomi is playing us ;)

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Apr 22 2007, 09:55 PM)

ok, you're right - to the jury - ignore this chapter

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Apr 22 2007, 09:55 PM)

So I think this is a bad method, I feel like Tomi's idea with some threshold? If a user got three bad grades for one perticular post it is 'sandboxed'. The grades have the duty to review the topic three days later and make a final statement!

I do not believe that technical means are a suitable way to interact with humans (even stuipd ones). From my experience as a MOD in the german labview forum I know, that you simply need some newbie bashing from time to time. Picking out the worst ones (called HHs here ;)) and slaping them verbally increases the discipline of the rest ;). IMHO AQ found a really good phrase, maybe we could use that as a template?

Just to proove my thesis: in 2006 Michael Ashe did a lot of HH bashing - you know this - ugh, really bad coffee this morning thing ;) and we had a real low !NULL to NULL post ratio here.

Maybe we just have to invent an LHHBOIC (LAVA Homework Hustler Bashing Officer in Charge) ;)

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 22 2007, 01:00 PM)

redneck.jpg You shure gotta a purdy mouth there boy - you use your tongue purdier than a ten dollar whore...

(extra credit: name those movies)

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

And it's a twenty dollar whore, Chris...

But back on topic. I participate in a few different boards, and whether you're talking about LV or performance cars, there will always be the null's of the world adding to the clutter. Most of the time they eventually go away on their own. They're annoying but generally not too persistent after an initial blast of activity. Ignoring them seems to work the best.

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 22 2007, 10:00 AM)

redneck.jpg You shure gotta a purdy mouth there boy - you use your tongue purdier than a ten dollar whore...

(extra credit: name those movies)

Perhaps what we're all asking for here is (dare I say it?) a rating system for individual posts? (OK Chris, you've said it, now step back and enjoy the show...)

Deliverance.

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Apr 23 2007, 09:07 PM)

Nicely done - extra credit awarded for the first quote :) It was, indeed, from Deliverence - a gay romp through the southern US wilderness, where men are men, and wildlife are scared...

QUOTE(BobHamburger @ Apr 23 2007, 12:33 PM)

twenty dollar
whore, Chris...

Extra extra credit Bob :D (I must have been thinking of that ten-gallon hat at Lily Von-Schtupp's show...) For those who don't understand what we're talking about, the second quote was from the preimminent neoclassical masterpiece Blazing Saddles.

QUOTE(BobHamburger @ Apr 23 2007, 12:33 PM)

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Ditto!

QUOTE(i2dx @ Apr 22 2007, 11:57 AM)

to be honest, this discussion makes me bash my head against the wall:

for a little more explanation: I'm active in bulletin boards since almost 12 years and almost every year someone in whichever forum is crying for moderation, because he/she feels embarrassed by NULL-posts. I have heard the arguments again and again and I know the result of such discussions: nothing will happen.

First, because obviously nobody wants to be the censor, who has to read each post carefully and check whether it may please a Premium Member or not - <ironic> or may be suitable for normal members but not for Premium Members ... </ironic> Second, because nobody in an internet forum really wants censorship. I am glad, that spam is removed, and that's enough.

Come on guys! We are big boys, use real expensive toys, are responsible for 100.000$ ++ testing systems therefore we should have the balls to withstand a few NULL posts and finally should be able to make usage of the ignore button - it's easy (trust me ;) ) I've done this with alfa before and it works! :D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Finally a voice of reason and common sense. Responses are set to "ignore" by DEFAULT. :)