non- enviromental friendly NI

Yet again have I got a carton box probally delivered by airplane from Hungary containing a folder "Global Services and Support", a paper saying my SSP is renewed and a copy of the invoice. The box weighs about ten-twenty times than papers.. How is NI think? This a waste of resouces, an regular envolope or even better a email would be a better solution.

Yes, same thing here in USA, always delivered by Fed Ex or some other really expensive means. Since my business is in a suburban residential area, the Fed Ex truck often makes a special trip.

Another software vendor told me that they send a big box for a similar piece of paper, so that the recieving department of big companies are more likely to log it in and match it up with the purchase order so that the invoice could be paid. But that was years ago & by now accounting departments must have figured out that sometimes something as intangible as an email with an activation code in it can constitute the deliverable for a pretty big P.O.

Ah well, its just a little CO2, no big deal...

QUOTE(Ben @ Apr 26 2007, 04:12 PM)

I would guess it has more to do with an assembly line that just drops stuff in a box on a conveyor.

I doubt that NI owns any assembly line for sales packaging. Comapnies usually outsource this kind of things. It's really a business decission.

Tomi

QUOTE(AndersBjork @ Apr 25 2007, 02:43 PM)

Yet again have I got a carton box probally delivered by airplane from Hungary containing a folder "Global Services and Support", a paper saying my SSP is renewed and a copy of the invoice. The box weighs about ten-twenty times than papers.. How is NI think? This a waste of resouces, an regular envolope or even better a email would be a better solution.

Contact NI, directly, and let them know how you feel.

QUOTE(Louis Manfredi @ Apr 26 2007, 06:07 AM)

Yes, same thing here in USA, always delivered by Fed Ex or some other really expensive means. Since my business is in a suburban residential area, the Fed Ex truck often makes a special trip.

Maybe they are justifying the ridiculous shipping charges that they now charge which is a percentage (10% ?) of the purchase price. i.e. if you bought SOFTWARE worth a few thousand dollars, you get charged hundreds of dollars to SHIP a few CD's!!

Maybe this justifies the expensive looking cardboard carton as well.

Neville.

• 5 months later...

QUOTE(AndersBjork @ Apr 25 2007, 04:43 PM)

Thanks for your feedback. I know this post was a while back, but I wanted to let you know that we have taken this and previous feedback to heart and are moving towards making these service related transactions paperless. Namely, we have already taken steps to eliminate the SSP carton box and related material and should stop shipping them towards the end of this month (October).

Again, thanks for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any additional feedback regarding SSP.

Craig Reynolds

Software Services - National Instruments

• 5 months later...

QUOTE (creynold @ Oct 10 2007, 09:44 PM)

QUOTE (Anders Björk @ Mar 17 2008, 03:59 PM)

Well the same boxes this year too
:wacko:

Anders, are you sure the boxes are made of paper this year? Maybe they are made of plastic to save the rain forests ;)

QUOTE (Tomi Maila @ Mar 17 2008, 04:14 PM)

Anders, are you sure the boxes are made of paper this year? Maybe they are made of plastic to save the rain forests ;)

Tomi I suspect it is either Finnish or Swedish cartoon board made of pine with slight mix of spruce... We have longer fibers in the north.. :)

• 3 weeks later...