The new rating system

Currently the reputation system has some defaults which don't have enough levels or resolution. Plus they're boring. See image. Can anyone come up with some cool labels and define some levels for reputation? Make them LabVIEW-centric!

post-2-124650052335_thumb.png

"Wired" ought to be one! Where it should fit in the hierarchy is the *real* question...

;-)

-Pete Liiva

Currently the reputation system has some defaults which don't have enough levels or resolution. Plus they're boring. See image. Can anyone come up with some cool labels and define some levels for reputation? Make them LabVIEW-centric!

In order from bad to good:

"Lab what?"

"What's a wire?"

"Look at my cool strip chart"

"Sub VIs are da bomb"

"VI Server? Is that new?"

"State machines for everything!"

"How can I pass-by-reference?"

"I'm a LVOOPer" ('Lavooper?')

"Give me a sec to script this..."

"I'll just build a framework..."

In order from bad to good:

"Lab what?"

"What's a wire?"

"Look at my cool strip chart"

"Sub VIs are da bomb"

"VI Server? Is that new?"

"State machines for everything!"

"How can I pass-by-reference?"

"I'm a LVOOPer" ('Lavooper?')

"Give me a sec to script this..."

"I'll just build a framework..."

In my case I have a big hole in the third from the bottom. Does that mean I never can make it better than "How can I pass-by-reference?" :D

I think we could also have something like "Go with the (Data)Flow", "Looping forever", or maybe "Globals are Evil", "Modular Hierarchy", or "LabVIEW The Force".

Rolf Kalbermatter

Let's try the real stages of LV user development... icons are in parentheses...

"Experiencing Blank Diagram Syndrome." (white square, black border)

"Closed the pinned palettes. Now what?" (the palette pin)

"Tired of just using Express VIs." (LV icon with thick blue border)

"Wondering how to stop parallel loops." (Tiny while loop)

"Burned by Global VIs." (The globe glyph)

"Wishing I knew about Create SubVI From Selection." (white square, black border but dotted line like selection)

"Burned by Cross-Linked VIs" (the directory folder glyph)

"Lost in LabVOOP." (the class cube)

"Inventing my own state machine technique." (two circles with arrows pointing between them)

"Burned by refnum race condition." (the document with folded corner glyph)

"Searching for design patterns." (online help question mark glyph)

"Rewriting my VIs for determinism." (timed loop glyph)

"Remote debugging a Built Application." (stethascope glyph used for probes)

"Waiting for FPGA compile process." (FPGA glyph)

"Digging LV's rusty nail out from left foot." (a nail, rusty)

"Needing unreleased LV version to finish project." (LV icon with a +1 beside it)

• Like 2

"Needing unreleased LV version to finish project." (LV icon with a +1 beside it)

Oh I like this last one. I (and several others) actually have projects that have a temporary workaround in place...until the next release comes.

Joe

PS. It's something about making each class a [dll]/llb before building an OOP designed exe...to avoid inheritance spew in the build folder. You know all about it though wink.gif

Hi,

Back to the original question in this thread, I am still trying to understand this system. sorry if I am a bit slow here.

Is my understanding below correct ?

To rate a whole thread I click on the Rate Topic star's, one star to five stars with more star's meaning a higher rating. Is the threads rating shown on the board then an average of all the star's rating given to that thread ?

Then there is the "Vote up this post" button, is that what builds up the reputation counts for the individual posters ?

When you look at a user's profile, it might be nice to see the actual posts that they got their reputation votes for.

cheers

Dannyt

To rate a whole thread I click on the Rate Topic star's, one star to five stars with more star's meaning a higher rating. Is the threads rating shown on the board then an average of all the star's rating given to that thread ?

Then there is the "Vote up this post" button, is that what builds up the reputation counts for the individual posters ?

Yep - that's right.

On a side note...I am able to give a star rating to my own post. That seems odd to me.

You can give a star rating to a whole thread (which includes your posts, as well as those of others) so you're marking the thread as valuable, not just your initial post. On the other hand, you can't vote up your own posts :)

Are there unwritten guidelines for what types of posts/threads we vote up? Should we restrict it to helpful/Labview related topics, or are off-topic posts that are especially humorous okay?

I think there's a logic flaw in the thread rating system. Suppose there's a thread with no value (maybe it's devolved into flame wars or I posted the Gettysburg Address), if I can convince one person to give it 5 starts it will forever show up as a "good" topic. If enough people give it 1 star the average will come down, but the poster would be rewarded with additional stars.

Is it possible to give a thread 0 stars? Or maybe -1 star at the cost of one of your own stars?

Are there unwritten guidelines for what types of posts/threads we vote up? Should we restrict it to helpful/Labview related topics, or are off-topic posts that are especially humorous okay?

I thought about this a bit a few weeks ago, and the answer that I came out with was that everyone is going to have a different perception of what constitutes a good or a bad post. I thin you should just vote something up if it appeals to you - irrespective of whether it's LabVIEW related or otherwise. A high rating means that you're appreciated as a LAVA member, not necessarily as a LabVIEW guru.

I think there's a logic flaw in the thread rating system. Suppose there's a thread with no value...

Yep - that's a flaw with just about every reputation system. I think that if people take it seriously then the good stuff will eventually separate from the noise. And no, we're not allowing anyone to apply negative ratings to anything (topics, posts, members) - as I said, something of little (or even anti-) value to you may be of high values to others - that's the power of community.

Actually, this is the limitless power of community:

PS: anyone else lovin' the new "Insert media" button as much as I am? No more pasting in embeded code - I just pasted in the url to the youTube page:

PS: anyone else lovin' the new "Insert media" button as much as I am? No more pasting in embeded code - I just pasted in the url to the youTube page:

I probably would if access wasn't denied to youtube by Big Brother.

Many of your posts come out looking like nothing more than a big expanse of white space. I'll leave the obvious follow-up snide remarks to other members of the forum. smile.gif

Cat