EXE takes a long time to be removed from task bar.

This is really annoying.

I got a complaint from one of my fellow engineers on the floor. His complaint was that when he closed my program it took the program a long time to not be visible in the taskbar (not really a big deal to me). I mean the FP goes away but the taskbar indicator stays up for as long as 30 sec or more. I tried it on my developement machine and sure enough it does the same thing. So I decided to put in the quit LV function, same result. Then I decided to downgrade the program to LV 8.0. I did that and built it into an EXE and it worked perfectly. As soon as I closed the front panel it was removed from the task bar within a second or two. So I then built (using 8.2.1) a really really small app (while loop, random #, Indicator) and built that into an EXE. I ran it and it had the same results. Has anyone seen this type of behavior using LV 8.2.1.

I have attached that original problem VI.

QUOTE(ooth @ May 10 2007, 05:59 PM)

Hmm... I haven't seen that. I have an RT utility application using the internet toolkit to download and upload files, reboot targets backup their drives etc.

It was written in 7.0 and migrated (and modified) all the way to 8.2.1.

It has an event structure that detects either the stop button pressed, or the close window event and then gracefully exits (fast).

Do you have some open references and such lying around at the end that are being closed by LV before exit?

I would look at the shutdown sequence in the code.

Maybe look at the toplevel VI settings, and play with those.

Neville.

QUOTE(jhoskins @ May 10 2007, 03:11 PM)

This is really annoying.

I got a complaint from one of my fellow engineers on the floor. His complaint was that when he closed my program it took the program a long time to not be visible in the taskbar (not really a big deal to me). I mean the FP goes away but the taskbar indicator stays up for as long as 30 sec or more. I tried it on my developement machine and sure enough it does the same thing. So I decided to put in the quit
LV
function, same result. Then I decided to downgrade the program to
LV
8.0. I did that and built it into an EXE and it worked perfectly. As soon as I closed the front panel it was removed from the task bar within a second or two. So I then built (using 8.2.1) a really really small app (while loop, random #, Indicator) and built that into an EXE. I ran it and it had the same results. Has anyone seen this type of behavior using
LV

I have attached that original problem VI.

I took a look at your app. On panel close, the DAQ task isn't wired, which means the Clear task is going to error out. Try with that fixed.

Neville.

QUOTE(Neville D @ May 11 2007, 11:17 AM)

Hmm... I haven't seen that. I have an RT utility application using the internet toolkit to download and upload files, reboot targets backup their drives etc.

It was written in 7.0 and migrated (and modified) all the way to 8.2.1.

It has an event structure that detects either the stop button pressed, or the close window event and then gracefully exits (fast).

Do you have some open references and such lying around at the end that are being closed by LV before exit?

I would look at the shutdown sequence in the code.

Maybe look at the toplevel VI settings, and play with those.

Neville.

I took a look at your app. On panel close, the DAQ task isn't wired, which means the Clear task is going to error out. Try with that fixed.

Neville.

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it did not solve the problem, I have played around with the settings but to no avail. I will keep trying and if anyone else has any Ideas please let me know. It really is not a big deal to me. But when you are putting things on the production floor and the manufacturing engineer is pissed off because you actually helped him out but you did not use C++ (hardcore C++ guy). I catch a lot of slack around here for being the only LV programmer, but it is fun. thanks for all of the help.

• 5 months later...

i am also facing the similar problem with 8.2 and there is one more problem

I have written a windows script that launches my custom application when i double click on perticular type of file (say files with extension .ext) now when i double click on file, my application gets launched and appears in taskbar, but it do not show up the front panel till i dont press a key on the keyboard.

if i launch the exe file directly then everything works fine

This problem is seen only in 8.2 and code works fine in 7.1