CLD....1,2,3?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside: I'm really glad to here of all these members stepping up and taking the NI certifications - it shows that you not only care about your personal education, but also the overall goodness that benefits the LabVIEW community when engineers take the necessary steps to gain certification - good on ya! :thumbup:

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Jun 4 2007, 12:59 PM)

Luckily you didn't have a TV camera in your face the entire time like the people do on Iron Chef... :)

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Jun 4 2007, 06:59 PM)

I just finished taking my test this morning, and I agree about the time.

I felt the same, 4 hours is quite short but I think it's a good way to separate good from best.

I only have about 2 years experience in developping "real life project" with LabVIEW so before taking the exam my feeling is that I should not try to implement everything because I'm not good/fast enough (yet ;)).

Before sitting for an exam one should pre-estimate his own skills and define a reasonnable target.

People with great experience can afford targeting 40, and I'm sure they can do it in less - a bit- than 4 hours.

After reading the subject, I decided to focus on implementing ~90% of the specifications, and to do it the best I could. So my target mark is 36, and if I am close to this I'd concider I did very well.

This is common sense

QUOTE(fonzo @ Jun 5 2007, 03:09 PM)

I had simulator for Automatic Teller Machine. 6 pages of documentation, text file, few buttons and many strings to guide the user.

Be very careful - I think you've just violated your NDA with NI.

QUOTE(fonzo @ Jun 4 2007, 10:09 PM)

I don't believe we can discuss too much about what our project was, so I'll just say that mine resembled the http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1683' target="_blank">Car Wash sample exam that NI gives for CLD preparation. ;) There were several differences of course, but I can't stress how much going through the sample exams and the CLD preparation course helped to prepare me for this exam.

It's all about speed, and to be fast you have to have already hammered through some similar situations before you sit down to take the exam. The samples helped me out.... a lot.

PS. I'm still awaiting my results, but just found out that one of my coworkers didn't pass...now I'm really nervous!

QUOTE(crelf @ Jun 11 2007, 01:59 PM)

I'm ready to give it a shot (and willing!!!), but unfortunately my current employer doesn't see any real benefit from that level of certification at this time. :( There just aren't any projects we're working on that would be in need of a LabVIEW architect overseeing a group of CLDs (unless you count overseeing myself). :headbang:

Assuming I ever get the opportunity though (it probably would be out of my own pocket)... I would love to hear of people's experiences (nothing breaking the NDA of course).

I'm especially interested in what people *expected* versus what they *experienced* when they took the CLA exam. I've been through many LabVIEW related courses now (Basics, Int, Adv, DAQ, RF), acheived CLAD & then CLD certifications, and now I'm reading through the PDF describing the requirements of the exam....and I still don't feel I have a good grasp of what the exam will actually be like. Descriptions are okay, but an official sample or a prep course (like they do for the CLD cert) just aren't available it seems...

QUOTE(orko @ Jun 11 2007, 05:45 PM)

... and now I'm reading through the http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5892' target="_blank">PDF describing the requirements of the exam....and I still don't feel I have a good grasp of what the exam will actually be like. ...

I agree the req's for CLA read like a college course description.

Too many big words.

If voice-mail message were written the same way you would hear "If you know your parties extention, you can dial it at any time followed by the octothorpe key".

Ben

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Jun 21 2007, 01:38 PM)

CLA recert? I thought once you got up to that level, you were part of the elite and there weren't any more stinkin' re-certs... guess that was just a legend I heard. ;)

Anyway...Way to go, Omar!!! http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6186 Good job, Michael!!! http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6187

I'm still on the fence on this step of my journey to the Wonderful World of LV. I'll probably wait until after the summer if I do decide to "follow the yellow primative icon" and plunge into the CLA cert.

As long as there aren't any purple horses or big shouting heads in the exam...

QUOTE(Ben @ Jun 22 2007, 08:26 AM)

I'm taking the Advanced I classes now (last day tomorrow) and the trainer (Nancy Hollenback of National Analytics) gave us an updated CLA outline dated April 2007 that is also on the NI website, here (PDF). On pages 7-8 it lists items including X-Controls. I don't know about the re-cert, but it would make sense that they include subjects/technologies that weren't present in the previous test...

Unfortunately, I was a couple points shy of passing my first attempt at the CLD :( . I scored high on style and documentation, but I didn't have complete functionality. Four hours just isn't long enough to do a good job in my opinion; but others have managed to do it so I guess I'll just have to try harder. If it was too easy, everyone would be a CLD and it wouldn't be worth as much...

QUOTE(Ben @ Jun 22 2007, 05:26 AM)

Recertification is staring me in the face. I have to recertify by the end of the year.

[...snip...]

Should someone trying to recertify spend time working with LVOOP and X-Controls before attempting the re-cert?

Hmmm, my thoughts are that, as a LabVIEW project leader type (er... architect), you would be expected to understand how these technologies relate to software engineering (modularization, encapsulation, etc). But, they are complicated and relatively new technologies that are not widely used, so you probably would not be asked to demonstrate practical skills in these areas, any time soon (although you might get brownie points for using them).

:2cents:

-Jim