Salut.

Anyone knows if NI is planning on reducing the run-time engine size? Currently working on a software that is planned to be released commercially (MS Office add-on) for the masses and the engine size is a big drawback. Don't want to advertize "get this little 5MB tool, but for it to work you need to download this 90MB engine, just like Java, but a lot bigger". ActiveX callbacks are not available before 7.0, so it will probably be the chosen version. It is twice as big as 6.0.2, but 4.5 times smaller than 8.2 and the same size as te .NET framework that a lot of people have downloaded. So 20 MB is believed to be acceptable by the majority, but not 90MB.

Just had a brief moment of a possibility to go down to 6.0.2 using event queus instead of callbacks, but they cannot see the events needed...also noticed that i am used to the auto tool...i am sitting there hovering the terminals waiting for the tool to change in 6.0.2...so back to 7.0...

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5908

while it is true that the full install is 90 mb zipped, you may want to look at all of the msi files that are packaged together in the default runtime engine to see if you can weed out what you want. i.e. the LabView 8.2.1 runtime engine itself is only 25 MB (acceptable by your standards) and it may serve your needs.

After all for a MS Office add on you probably don't need TDMS support, data socket support, etc. You'll have to play around with what gets installed, but if you try you may find everything you need for less than the 20ish MB.

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ May 21 2007, 09:14 PM)

while it is true that the full install is 90 mb zipped, you may want to look at all of the msi files that are packaged together in the default runtime engine to see if you can weed out what you want. i.e. the LabView 8.2.1 runtime engine itself is only 25 MB (acceptable by your standards) and it may serve your needs.

After all for a MS Office add on you probably don't need TDMS support, data socket support, etc. You'll have to play around with what gets installed, but if you try you may find everything you need for less than the 20ish MB.

And then a dim light at the end of the tunnel is seen...maybe its the end of the tunnel or...the train!

Will look into it and post back the results when available.

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ May 21 2007, 06:14 PM)

the LabView 8.2.1 runtime engine itself is only 25 MB
I agree. Since the LabVIEW 8.0 release, NI decide to add a little confusion by creating two run-time engines. The old run-time is now called the "web browser only" runtime:

There are two downloads that are available. You only need to install one of them.
  • LabVIEW 8.2.1 Run-Time Engine (Web Browser Only)
    (24MB)

is a smaller download intended for viewing Remote Front Panels in web

pages. It does not contain the full run-time engine, but will allow

some executables to run. This version can not be deployed. Download LVRunTimeEng.exe to install this version.

• LabVIEW 8.2.1 Run-Time Engine (Standard)
    (91MB)

gives full support for executables. This version will support all

executables built with LabVIEW as well as allow viewing of Remote Front

Panels in web browsers. It includes support for DataSocket, Variable

Engine and NI-USI. This version can be deployed using an installer

created with Application Builder. Download LabVIEW_8.2.1_Runtime_Engine.exe to install this version.

So really, you may be able to get by with the web browser only version which is "only" 24MB.

QUOTE(Jacemdom @ May 22 2007, 03:35 PM)
Does someone know what is the difference between the "Web Browser version" LVRunTimeEng.exe 8.0.1 (24MB) and the "Runtime Engine" folder (20MB) included in the complete package 8.0.1 (87MB)?
I could spend the time and figure it out, but you can also do this yourself. Just download both run-times. Extract them and look at the folder contents. You will see several clearly labeled msi install files for the full runtime which are related to various add-on features.

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ May 22 2007, 08:20 PM)

I could spend the time and figure it out, but you can also do this yourself. Just download both run-times. Extract them and look at the folder contents. You will see several clearly labeled msi install files for the full runtime which are related to various add-on features.

To rephrase the prior question,

Does someone know what is the difference between the "Web Browser" version, that cannot be fully unpacked with winzip or winrar, and the contents of the "Runtime Engine" folder that is extracted from the complete package and with the path being LabVIEW_8.0.1_Runtime_Engine.exe\Products\Runtime Engine\lv80rte?