Making Your Own Personilised popup menu

Dear users,

I am looking for a way to make your own Labview pop up menu. I knwow that you can use the "prompt User For input". But is their anather way to do it.

I am working wirh labview 8.2.1 and for the moment not an advanced user, but who knows in the futere!

Thanks for your help,

Jeroen

QUOTE(phuzionz @ May 31 2007, 11:14 AM)

Dear users,

I am looking for a way to make your own Labview pop up menu. I knwow that you can use the "prompt User For input". But is their anather way to do it.

I am working wirh labview 8.2.1 and for the moment not an advanced user, but who knows in the futere!

Thanks for your help,

Jeroen

Jeroen,

You can easily make a subVI into a pop up window -- In VI properties, go to "Window Appearance", and make sure that when you customize that "Show Front Panel when Called" and "Close afterwards" is selected.

Then, in your subVI, have the VI wait for a user to press a button (or any action that you want the user to do with the popup)

I've attached a sample popup dialog box I created that just waits for a user to click 'OK' or 'Cancel' and then outputs if the user clicked the cancel button.

QUOTE(phuzionz @ Jun 1 2007, 01:14 AM)

Do you want a popup window or a popup menu - your post is a little confusing. If you want a popup window, then Jeff's desctiprion will work, but if you want a popup menu, then you can create a custom one for each control/indicator on your front panel.

QUOTE(crelf @ May 31 2007, 01:19 PM)

Do you want a popup window or a popup menu - your post is a little confusing. If you want a popup window, then Jeff's desctiprion will work, but if you want a popup menu, then you can create a custom one for each control/indicator on your front panel.

Good point... I took it as popup window since that's what "Prompt User for Input" is...

What is a popup menu?

If you are refering to right-click context-sensitive menu, there have been several implementations posted both to the LAVA forums and to the NI forums which allow nested right click context menus., so I suggest you search for them. Some use OS calls and some do it fully in LV.

What would probably be even better is using the built-in right click menus available in 8.x by right clicking a control and selecting Advanced. These can be read with the event structure.

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (Jeff Plotzke @ May 31 2007, 03:56 PM)

Jeroen,

You can easily make a subVI into a pop up window -- In VI properties, go to "Window Appearance", and make sure that when you customize that "Show Front Panel when Called" and "Close afterwards" is selected.

Then, in your subVI, have the VI wait for a user to press a button (or any action that you want the user to do with the popup)

I've attached a sample popup dialog box I created that just waits for a user to click 'OK' or 'Cancel' and then outputs if the user clicked the cancel button.

Your sample vi sounds exactly like the kind of thing I would like to see. However, I only have labview7.1 which won't open it? Do you have a version of your program that is compatible with Labview7.1? Many thanks.