Scarry...

QUOTE(Jeff Plotzke @ Jun 17 2007, 08:31 PM)

Oh my! Where is that from?

It's from India, and it's indeed much worse, from the little I know about it. I believe the rate of fatal accidents in India is very high (don't ask me for a quote on that), because many people drive like that and have little regard for safety.

QUOTE(crelf @ Jun 17 2007, 11:40 PM)

that video has been sped up

I haven't actually looked at it, or I would have noticed it as well. Just seeing the second reply and the first frame was enough for me to recognize that movie (I saw it in the normal speed version).

QUOTE(crelf @ Jun 17 2007, 01:40 PM)

Good Catch. As you say, even at real speed this is still worrysome.

PJM

I had a chance of seeing motorcycle traffic in Vietnam recently. People participating or joining traffic never look to left, right or back, but that's ok since everybody is aware of it. If you want to pass by someone, you generally honk, so they know something is coming from behind. The whole thing might look quite familiar to you if you have one of these screen savers that simulate a fish swarm. There are more details, but it is scary enough just like that.

Herbert

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6142

QUOTE(hooovahh @ Jun 19 2007, 08:53 AM)

There is no emoticon which conveys my astonishment.

It almost looks like the "law of the sea" applies (largest vessel has the right of way).

Although it was not that bad, my first trip to New England taught me about agressive driving. I was offered some driving tips.

1) Never make eye contact with the other driver. It indicates you are yielding.

2) If you break down, do not stop in the breakdown lane. It is often used as an express lane. (I was suprised to see speed bump!)

3) When merging into heavy traffric, look for a car that cost more than yours then aim for it. they will slow down.

Ben

QUOTE(Herbert @ Jun 19 2007, 03:35 PM)

People participating or joining traffic never look to left, right or back, but that's ok since everybody is aware of it. If you want to pass by someone, you generally honk, so they know something is coming from behind.

Actually, I find driving in the US a lot like skiing: give way to those in front of you.

Some one should make a video montage of people crossing traffic, with the Benny Hill theme song.

For those of you that are deprived and don't know what I'm talking about, here's a nice montage some one made with the war of the worlds (never seen it)

Youtube also has the shows ending music without the war of the worlds, that is found here.

QUOTE(Ben @ Jun 19 2007, 04:04 PM)

:laugh:

QUOTE(hooovahh @ Jun 19 2007, 05:47 PM)

For those of you that are deprived and don't know what I'm talking about, here's a nice montage some one made with the war of the worlds (never seen it)

So, why doesn't the tripod go "Ulla"?

(for those who don't know it, Ulla is the rather ridiculous sound the fighting machines make in the otherwise excellent musical version of WOTW made by Jeff Wayne. I believe it's from the book, but it still sounds weird).

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Jun 19 2007, 08:27 PM)

I would refactor it and add some semaphores. Possibly queues, also.

Semaphores have the traffic light icons, so they would be more appropriate. ;)

• 2 months later...

Spent a month in Prague last summer. In a great portion of the city there are so few lights at intersections they are noted on the maps. ANd many of intersections without lights also had no other form of traffic control. To top it off not only did you have pedestrian, private vehicle, motorcycle and bus, you also has to contend with electric trolleys (which most certainly took the right of way) But I must say that there was some of a pause on most peoples parts, not a truly continual motion.

I live in Colorado, US. Lots of people here ski of course, and their driving does reflect that, only look ahead, and the person in the back is the one who's supposed to go around the one in the front. Too bad that works in any lane so often people just clog the road and no one can get around.

Where I learned to drive you look all around you, faster people and passing in the left lane, slower people on the right. If on a one lane road and someone comes up behind you, you put a signal on and move to the shoulder and slow down so they can safely go around. And I do love traffic circles :>)