Report Generation Toolkit Compatibility with Microsoft Office

Respected LAVAs,

I am using Labview 8.0.1, Report Generation Tookit 1.1.1 and MS Office 2003 on development machine.

Now, I have to distribute an application using Report Generation Tookit to several target machines.

Becasue I can't make sure that the version of MS Office is the same on the target machine as on the development machine,

all of four options to support MS office 97, 2000, XP and 2003 have been selected when I installed Report Generation Tookit 1.1.1.

Unfortunately, if MS office version on target machine is different from that on development machine, the application can't run Report Generation function.

so, Is it possible for an application to support different versions of MS office together?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I have a few suggestions for you. First of all, don't select all 4 Office support options in the installer, all that does is install each of them one at a time, where each subsequent selection just overwrites the files of the previous one. For installation purposes, you should only select whatever version of Office you currently have on your machine. If the version of Office on your machine changes, you need to uninstall/reinstall the toolkit to update your Office version-specific files. We are looking into ways of alleviating this confusion in future versions of the toolkit.

Next, I assume you're building executables of your application for distribution? If so, you should follow the instructions for building executables in the Report Generation Toolkit User Guide. I have attached the latest User Guide (version 1.1.2) to this post, since it has the most updated instructions regarding building EXEs with the Report Generation Toolkit.

Now if you are distributing the EXE to users with multiple versions of Office, you will need to create an EXE for each different Office version. Even though only the Office 2003 files are installed on your computer, when you build the EXE, you can include the dynamic VIs for any Office version by accessing the version-specific files in the "Compatibility" folder on your Report Generation Toolkit CD.

Finally, I should point out that the latest version of the toolkit is 1.1.2. It is a free upgrade for users of version 1.1.1. It includes various bug fixes, along with support for Office 2007. The installer for version 1.1.2 only supports Office 2000, XP, 2003, and 2007. But the "Compatibility" folder on the RGT 1.1.2 CD still contains the Office 97 support files.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Again, we're working on ways to make this a much easier experience in future versions of the toolkit.

-D

Thank you very much for your kind suggestions.

I will upgrade RGT v1.1.1 to v1.1.2 due to compatibility problem with Office 2007, and thank you again for your upload.

RGT is a really nice tool for uses to generate a satisfied report efficiently using LV. I like it.

hope it could be better in the future versions.

Best wishes :)

QUOTE(Darren @ Jun 30 2007, 04:21 AM)

I have a few suggestions for you. First of all, don't select all 4 Office support options in the installer, all that does is install each of them one at a time, where each subsequent selection just overwrites the files of the previous one. For installation purposes, you should only select whatever version of Office you currently have on your machine. If the version of Office on your machine changes, you need to uninstall/reinstall the toolkit to update your Office version-specific files. We are looking into ways of alleviating this confusion in future versions of the toolkit.