Need xcontrol examples for niweek presentation

I'm doing a presentation this year at NIWeek on XControls. I'm looking for examples of XControls that any of you have developed. If I determine that they are useful, I will present them at NIWeek and obviously give credit to you or your company in my presentation.

You can either attach your XControl to this thread in a zip file or email it privately to me at: michael (at) aivaliotis.com

Dunno if it's too late now, but here's a couple of XControls I've been playing around with.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6393

One is a signal generator XControl that produces a waveform output, second is a simple toolbar XControl that will return a cluster with the index of the button last pressed and whether it was a transitory click or a latch/unlatch type event.

© University of Leeds 2007, released under the BSD License

I'm considering submitting the toolbar to the CR unless someone puts a better implementation there first :rolleyes:

Here's my pet project of the last weeks:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6412

The includes PreTest.vi shows the possibilities of the XControl. Nice suggestion drop a new instance of the XControl into a VI. Same dialog can be acquired by right clicking the XControl (in edit-mode) and selecting 'Settings'

EDIT:

One nice feature is the drop of picture files (png/bmp/jpg) onto the XControl

Ton

QUOTE(tcplomp @ Jul 19 2007, 11:18 PM)

Nice suggestion drop a new instance of the XControl into a VI. Same dialog can be acquired by right clicking the XControl (in edit-mode) and selecting 'Settings'

EDIT:

One nice feature is the drop of picture files (png/bmp/jpg) onto the XControl

This is really cool!!! :thumbup:

Actually, I was thinking of Brian Powell and just thought for some reason that Steve Rogers was giving that session.

XControls are nice, but ultimately, they are complicated and are still a relatively minor feature which I doubt I will use in the near future.

Michael, how would you justify going to that session over a session which talks about how NI works when desigining LV?

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks the online scheduling interface for NIWeek mostly sucks?

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 24 2007, 03:58 AM)

XControls are nice, but ultimately, they are complicated and are still a relatively minor feature which I doubt I will use in the near future.

Michael, how would you justify going to that session over a session which talks about how NI works when desigining LV?

In the end, you will have to decide of course. I'm not trying to convince anyone here. XControls are all about code reuse. If you develop more than one application (probably a system integrator) where you have repeating patterns in your UI development, then it behooves you to develop reusable UI components to reduce development time. The time invested up front to develop an XControl will pay off in the long run when you have collected an arsenal of powerful controls that you can whip out at any time to solve complicated UI problems. Brian's presentation is excellent as well. Like I've said in the past, "NIWeek is one of the only moments I wish human cloning was already a reality." ;)

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Jul 31 2007, 08:22 PM)

Black Bart: "By the power vested in me by the Honorable William J. LaPetomane, I herby take the office of Sheriff of, and for, the town of Rockridge." :D

Preacher: "Gentlemen! Gentlemen! Let us not let anger rule the day! As you spiritual leader, I implore to take head to the good book and what it says!"

(gunshot through bible)

Preacher (to Black Bart): "Son - you're on your own!"

(I could go on, but I'll wait until The Ginerman :) )