LV 8.5: All pallettes hidden

The Express palettes are the default in LabVIEW 8.5. That's what you'll get with a fresh install (or if you delete your INI file).

Now you all know why I posted a blog entry about how to customize the visible categories in the palettes. :yes:

(Sorry the videos on my blog are currently unavailable. I'm working on getting a new home for them).

- Christina

is there a way to make the palettes look like this view, which I have in LV 8.2.1 and where I am used to?

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6575

I tried hard to make the "Programming" palette the only "open" and "default" palette, for the function palette, opening on a right click on the block diagramm, but I found no solution.

any tips would be greatly apreciated :)

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Aug 9 2007, 04:09 PM)

Most pple consider UTUBE as entertainment.

Most of us cant see it at work cause of Smart filter (ugg)

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 9 2007, 05:12 PM)

is there a way to make the palettes look like this view, which I have in
LV
8.2.1 and where I am used to?

I tried hard to make the "Programming" palette the only "open" and "default" palette, for the function palette, opening on a right click on the block diagramm, but I found no solution.

any tips would be greatly apreciated
:)

Man, I can't believe this. The older palettes are gone now?

I appreciate that NI is trying to improve the user interface, but come on. Defaulting a new install to the Express VI pallete? :thumbdown: NI, for the love of god, PLEASE stop f'ing with the palletes!

I spent over 10 minutes configuring the LabVIEW environment before STARTING my CLD test. I missed by two points because my functionality was not completed. The architecture was there, I just ran out of time. If I have to use 8.5 and a yet another NEW pallete scheme for my retest (in ~ 3 weeks) then I might just as well cancel the test and stay a CLAD.

Sorry. This just sucks. What are people on forums supposed to do to help new users? You tell someone to look under Functions>Programming>Dialog & User Interface>Events and they reply "I don't have a "Function" or "Programming" choice?

Again, I say leave the friggin' palletes ALONE!

mad.gif

Link 1: No Express VIs Required!

Link 2: Do you use Express VIs? Most answered NO!

Link 3: Perfect analogy for Express VIs "They are what crayons are to art"

(Whew. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...)

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Aug 9 2007, 07:56 PM)

thanks a lot!

Edit: The changes made on the "sticky" palette have no effect on the palette, which comes up on a rightclick. If you want to change the layout of "these" palettes, you have to switch to "category" view in the options dialog.

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Aug 9 2007, 08:13 PM)

I appreciate that NI is trying to improve the user interface, but come on. Defaulting a new install to the Express VI pallete? :thumbdown: NI, for the love of god,
PLEASE stop f'ing
with the palletes!

ACK!

@NI:

PLEASE! only change the palette layout, IF THERE IS A REALLY GOOD REASON.

If you look over my shoulder, when I am programming, you might get the impression there is a knitting machine working. However, if you would ask me, how my palettes do look like, I had to admit, that I don't know. But deep inside my weird brain there is a pointer to the location of each item I need, which is directly linked to a mouse gesture ;) Therefore a new palette layout knocks out my programmig automatisms and I feel like a race car driver, forced to use a pedal-car :wacko:

[...]

Again, I say leave the friggin' palletes ALONE! mad.gif

I totally agree with LV Punk and i2dx. There has been a significant change in the palettes layout introduced with LV 8, it took me a while to get use to it (and I know I'm not the only one) but I have to say that it is now more organized than it was in LV 7 and earlier. But changing at every new version does not make any sense.

Link 2:
Most answered NO!

Link 3: Perfect analogy for Express VIs "
"

As regards express VIs, well... I never used them and never liked them until I saw a demo of the brand new vision acquisition and vision assistant express VIs, these two are really really well done (nice job Brad :thumbup: ) and I encourage everybody to give them a try.

I am now wondering if the other express VIs have been updated the same way, if so I'll start to use them.

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Aug 9 2007, 07:56 PM)

Good walkthrough, and it solved my issue. But the first thing I did after starting my LabVIEW was going into options and changing into icons view.

In that view you can't explore the categories you've hidden... So I couldn't do anything.

I think the 'visible' categories should be accessible from the options page as well

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 9 2007, 08:05 PM)

You said one of your PC's is OK.

My home laptop with an install over the beta didn't have an issue (I think in beta all categories were visible)

And at work I had a clean install and missing categories.

QUOTE(i2dx @ Aug 9 2007, 09:05 PM)

@NI:

PLEASE! only change the palette layout, IF THERE IS A REALLY GOOD REASON.

If you look over my shoulder, when I am programming, you might get the impression there is a knitting machine working. However, if you would ask me, how my palettes do look like, I had to admit, that I don't know. But deep inside my weird brain there is a pointer to the location of each item I need, which is directly linked to a mouse gesture
;)
Therefore a new palette layout knocks out my programmig automatisms and I feel like a race car driver, forced to use a pedal-car
:wacko:

The new layout of 8.5 is quite good and intuitive. But I'd wish I could skip the 'programming' categorie and just start there in 'Icon' view.

Good point I now know a way to remove the Express VIs from my palette :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

Ton

LabVIEW 8.5 didn't actually change the palette layout. (Well, we added some things, but the main layout didn't change).

The thing that changed was that LabVIEW 8.0 and 8.2 tried to see if you had an older LabVIEW installed on the machine and changed the visible palette categories. For a variety of reasons, this didn't work so well.

You can copy the INI file from your previous 8.x version of LabVIEW and you should, for the most part, feel right at home in 8.5. I agree this should be easier, and I've talked to a few people at NIWeek about how we could improve the upgrade experience to preserve the user preferences.

The top-most visible category is the one that is automatically expanded when you right-click and get a temporary palette. But you have to pin a palette to change the visible categories (as I said on my blog and as was pointed out in this thread).

- Christina

QUOTE(Christina Rogers @ Aug 9 2007, 09:41 PM)

You can copy the INI file from your previous version of LabVIEW and you should, for the most part, feel right at home in 8.5. I agree this should be easier, and I've talked to a few people at NIWeek about how we could improve the upgrade experience to preserve the user preferences.

Hi,

Who shall I direct the following request to ?

I'd like to be allowed to bring my labview.INI file with me at the CLD.

Maybe if NI receives dozens of same request, things will change :yes:

Thanks

QUOTE(TiT @ Aug 9 2007, 03:50 PM)

Hi,

Maybe if NI receives dozens of same request, things will change :yes:

Thanks

BRILLIANT idea. :thumbup: A CLD exam is in my very near future ...

I just finished looking at Aristos' LabVIEW Tarot Deck, and I must say that "The Palettes (IL The High Priestess) card is great. I hope he doesn't mind me placing it here.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6593

A change to the palettes is a break in harmony. I've been trying to come up with a good analogy, but I keep thinking of Figure 3.3 on Page 21 of "A Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW" (recommended to me by Stephen). The figure depicts four interfaces; a British (right sided) dash board, a tank control, a joystick control and a gameboy type control. Quote from the book:

"Transferring from one mode to another would involve learning a new combination of controls. This would not only be tiresome but could be dangerous. The likelyhood of an accident is greatly increased during the learning phase"
I don't want to die in the CLD test! :P

I'll share one last thing; my IT department asked everyone to install Office 2007 by the end of July. I blindly obeyed, and now "experience" what M$ calls the "Fluent" interface, but I affectionately call "Effluent". The Office 2007 toolbar now looks like this:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6594

Note that the File menu option is missing. Not moved, GONE!

"OK" I say; just press F1, search the help and figure out how to turn it back on... Aha! You CAN'T!

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6595

Now you understand why I'm frustrated and "touchy" about changing the interface...

QUOTE(TiT @ Aug 9 2007, 02:50 PM)

Sounds like a reasonable request. I'll forward this thread to the folks in our customer education department.

You might also talk to your sales representative.

As you probably know, customer success is very important to NI (have you seen Dr. T's triangles?) and we're happy to hear suggestions of what we can do to help you.

- Christina

QUOTE(Christina Rogers @ Aug 10 2007, 02:29 PM)

thanks a lot! I would really appreciate it, if that would be approved until my next Exam (10/2007) :)

QUOTE(Christina Rogers @ Aug 10 2007, 02:29 PM)

As you probably know, customer success is very important to NI (have you seen Dr. T's triangles?) and we're happy to hear suggestions of what we can do to help you.

I have a made a scan of mine (still have it ...)

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6602