LV 8.5: All pallettes hidden

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Aug 10 2007, 06:37 AM)

\begin{rant}

I saw the monstrosity that is the redesigned Office toolbar, excuse me, "ribbon," only a couple of weeks ago. It strikes me as a perfect example of changing things that don't need to be changed, just for the sake of changing them. Really, is File, Edit, Insert, Format, etc. really that difficult for anyone to understand? Word has been around for 10+ years and this complete redesign of the toolbar means I have to hike up a learning curve to do the exact same things I was doing before. Not to mention the thing is a usability nightmare: one of the rows of buttons consists of icons, one of text, one of text and icons. None are the same height and one of the buttons actually straddles two toolbars! Maybe Microsoft consulted an efficiency expert, who decided things needed to be grouped more logically, but were people really having trouble finding Tools:Options?

The LabVIEW 8+ style palette still bugs me, too. Maybe I'm just getting inflexible in my old age.

I find express palette to be VERY frustrating. I do not use express for anything at all.

It is annoying to have express shoved into my palettes everytime I upgrade.

I hope saving the old INI file does the trick. Too much time wasted trying to get LabVIEw back to the way I need it to be.

I wonder how long it is going to take to get 8.5 squared away.

I upgrade only because I am fearful of being left behind.

Using LV for 10+ years never had any (real) problems until version

8... 8.2 8.21 ...

• 7 months later...

(this is roger:) nooooooooooo! where was i when this decision was made :(

i just installed 8.5 to play around with this, and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get my traditional, advanced palette view back.

perhaps an installer option that allows you to select your default palettes, or even something in tools->options under palettes where one would expect it to be?

QUOTE (LV Punk @ Aug 10 2007, 03:37 AM)

"OK" I say; just press F1, search the help and figure out how to turn it back on... Aha! You CAN'T!

I know this is an old thread, but since it was reopened anyway I thought I'd put in my $0.02 about some of the other topics in the thread...

I think MS finally got it right with Office 2007. After years of clicking through menus that were 3-4 layers deep looking for the right tool, I can now get to nearly any tool I need in 2 clicks. I think the layout is intuitive and the "learning curve" of the new format was very short. Now that I'm used to it I can produce quality documents in much less time and with less frustration.

On another note... when I took the CLD exam I was able to use my Laptop. Because the exam was not offered anywhere close to where I am, one of my local NI reps came to my workplace and proctored the exam for me. I had the monitor, keyboard and mouse that I was used to and LabVIEW was obviously setup just the way I like it (I did have to remove OpenG :angry: ). Even so the test was a killer. I'm sure I would not have passed if I was dealing with unfamiliar mouse/keyboard and/or if I had to spend 5 minutes setting up the environment (those 5 minutes were precious).