Cluster

To the best of my knowledge, "traditional" Type descriptors are limited to 65,536 Bytes in length. Anything leading to an increase of the TD beyond this length will "break" LV.

When considering what's stored in a TD, even the names of the controls contribute to it's length. Lots of controls with long names will fill up the available length relatively quickly.

AFAIK, NI has changed the storage of many data types recently, so I don't know if this limit still applies. EDIT: I see you're using 6.1. This limit should still apply.

I've never encountered this limit before, but this article shows that the "length" of a TD is limited to a U16.

Shane.

QUOTE(Bjarne Joergensen @ Aug 13 2007, 01:20 PM)

Hi All

I use LV6.1

How many controls and Clusters can you put into a Cluster ctl ?

I have put in 2 Controls, 1 cluster with 8 radiobuttons and 5 clusterTypeDefs, each containing 8 clusters with a lot of controls.

If I put in another cluster, LV break down. :headbang:

best regards

Bjarne

There still seem to be some files missing in the zip file.....

I see you have quite a lot of cosmetic items in the control. This may be the reason for overloading the TD, but somehow I doubt it. Since I can't load all the Ctrls it's hard to comment further.

Perhaps replacing all of the cosmetic items with a single bitmap of the required background might help you get around any object limit which may be causing problems?

I've very little experience of this kind of control customisation, so maybe someone else is better qualified to answer.

Shane.

QUOTE(Bjarne Joergensen @ Aug 13 2007, 01:28 PM)

Hi Again

I have attached the files

best regards

Bjarne

<Walter Sobchak>

I did not know that.

</Walter Sobchak>

That would make the available size of any given control rather limited.......

Ouch.

Shane.

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 13 2007, 02:30 PM)

I can't take time to look the attachec code but let me add...

If I understand correctly, the FP also uses a type descriptor that is made up all of the objects on it.

The cluster may be just "the straw the breaks the camels back".

Ben

QUOTE(shoneill @ Aug 13 2007, 08:42 AM)

That would make the available size of any given control rather limited.......

Ouch.

Shane.

I trhink it was LV 6.1 that last had that restriction. It amounted to a limit of 550 controls ( customers called about this limit) and as a result I wrote a utility to count controls just so I would not get blind-sided.

Ben