Handedness

Tomi recently posted a comment about

preferring a left handed keyboard. I've read and contributed to several posts about handedness, ergonomics and such. I keep wondering what the breakdown of right handers vs. southpaws is in the LabVIEW community. Maybe an unscientific poll will make me feel better...

Lefties unite!

Start coding in LabVIEW right to left!

Start a petition now to move shift register and case inputs to the right!

Rebel now! Set your posts to right-justified!

I've heard it said that left-handed people tend to be more analytical. Based on that, I wonder how the LAVA community's left-handedness compares to that of the general population. According to the Wikipedia entry on handedness (linked in the original post), 8-15% of the population is left-handed.

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Aug 20 2007, 06:40 PM)

I've heard it said that left-handed people tend to be more analytical. Based on that, I wonder how the LAVA community's left-handedness compares to that of the general population. According to the Wikipedia entry on handedness (linked in the original post), 8-15% of the population is left-handed.

I think the right side of my brain might be dead or at the very least incapable. :D

QUOTE(eaolson @ Aug 20 2007, 09:09 PM)

?oot ,tfel-ot-thgir gnitirw trats ot gniog uoy erA ?txen s'tahW

Ha! Were you able to read Hebrew or Arabic you would have no problem with that! :D

P.S. I'm as right as they come, although I do try to use my left hand on occasion.

.איט רילי איז מאצ' איזייר לייק דיס

P.P.S. That last part is in Heblish, so that Ben will have an easier time reading it.

QUOTE(David Boyd @ Aug 20 2007, 06:52 PM)

(Apropos of nothing, really...)

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Regards,

Dave

(Unrepentant lefty who happens to use the mouse with the right hand anyway.)

I think that should be:

lysdexics of the world untie!

OK, but did you hear about the agnostic dyslexic who stayed awake all night worrying about whether dog exists?

QUOTE(LV Punk @ Aug 31 2007, 09:20 AM)

Any basis to your theory based on the poll so far? Roughly 25% seems to be above average...

I suspected lefties tended toward the technical side. The poll so far does not contradict that theory.

The other theory was (but addressed by teh poll buy mentioned by others) that there is a higher proportion of engineers and scientists that are dyslexic than in the general population.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 31 2007, 09:29 AM)

The other theory was (but addressed by teh poll buy mentioned by others) that there is a higher proportion of engineers and scientists that are dyslexic than in the general population.

If you read the wikipedia entry on handedness, there are some interesting theories about how handedness is related to language development. Maybe that goes along with the dyslexia thing? I don't know enough about dyslexia or neurology to know if dyslexia and language are related...

QUOTE(Gary Rubin @ Aug 31 2007, 10:16 AM)

Maybe that goes along with the dyslexia thing? I don't know enough about dyslexia or neurology to know if dyslexia and language are related...

I know little more than what I have picked-up as a result of being dyslexic (Certified under the Americans with Disabilites Act "ADA").

The word "dyslexia" roughly translates as "does not understand letters" so it has a lot to do with text based languages. I was told when diagnosed that dyslexics often go undiagnosed and develop other coping skills to compensate. It takes many forms. In my case, the order of and orientaion of letters are jumbled. Yes I am one of those people who does not easily recognize the difference between the words "dog" and "god". The letters "A" and "V" are also troublesome.

This is one of the reasons I love LabVIEW. Letters are not required!

Text based languages were often frustrating to me because I simply could not "see" the syntax errors.

I have often thought that NI should market LV as the answer to dyslexics.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 31 2007, 10:47 AM)

That's interesting; I had been aware of the word jumbling, but not the orientation issues. It's really fascinating how the brain works. My http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Rubin' target="_blank">sister is severely autistic, and it's really amazing to see what aspects of her brain seem to function normally vs. which parts don't...

Gary

• 1 month later...