DAQmx Documentation

ASTDan

Hello,

I have a question/comment. I am trying to find a master .pdf document for DAQmx. The request I had was for a 300+ page manual for DAQmx. Does something like that exist? I found a "getting started with DAQ" http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5434 on NI's website. It looked cool. Is there 1 pdf manual that has everything, or is the documentation all in help files or on line?

My comment is where is NI headed in regards to documentation? I feel NI's documentation in general is good but could be better. Sometimes when reseaching something I wish they had more detail. Are they moving away from detailed manuals? Is documenation just chunks of html posts and the era of an all encompasing manuals over?

I am interested to hear other people's comments.

Thanks

Dan

QUOTE(ASTDan @ Aug 23 2007, 03:56 PM)

Hello,

I have a question/comment. I am trying to find a master .pdf document for DAQmx. The request I had was for a 300+ page manual for DAQmx. Does something like that exist? I found a "getting started with DAQ" http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5434''>http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5434' target="_blank">http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5434 on NI's website. It looked cool. Is there 1 pdf manual that has everything, or is the documentation all in help files or on line?

My comment is where is NI headed in regards to documentation? I feel NI's documentation in general is good but could be better. Sometimes when reseaching something I wish they had more detail. Are they moving away from detailed manuals? Is documenation just chunks of html posts and the era of an all encompasing manuals over?

I am interested to hear other people's comments.

Thanks

Dan

NI DAQmx help part number 370466J-01.

Ton

QUOTE(ASTDan @ Aug 23 2007, 06:56 AM)

Hello,

Definitely seems like it. Gone are the days of thorough PDF documentation for new features, and well-written pdf documents that took you through all the steps necessary for the task.

It seems even the new LabVIEW RT and newer hardware modules only has "help file" documentation. Messy, crude, and incomplete in terms of links.

If you have a help file it should atleast have links (that work) to examples that illustrate that particular concept.. no luck.

Neville.

QUOTE(ASTDan @ Aug 24 2007, 10:26 AM)

Now that looks like pretty helpful stuff. But there are still some "low cost" boards that have only .chm helpfile documentation which is a nightmare to traverse.

Neville.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the new CompactDAQ series, I have found a significant lack of information:

I am using a CompactDAQ unit with a NI-9233 IEPE module for dynamic pressure monitoring. The 9233 has a discrete amount of sampling rates available, defined by Fs = 50kHz / N, where N is an integer 2 . . . 25. This thread covers the fact that this is NOT documented anywhere in the manuals!

Hope this example helps...

QUOTE(brianafischer @ Sep 9 2007, 08:38 AM)

...a discrete amount of sampling rates available, defined by Fs = 50kHz / N, where N is an integer 2 . . . 25.

I've found that on a handful of cRIO and cDAQ devices - I figured that it was a limitation of the driver, and the reason it wasn't mentioned anywhere is because NI is working on "fixing" it in the next DAQ driver release (?)