Getting Started with 3d Picture Control?

I'm finally getting around to using the 3d Picture Control for something "serious," and I feel like I'm running up against a bit of a learning curve. There are two things I'd like to do, and I feel like they should be easy:

(1) I would like to show a set of XYZ coordinate axes on my 3d Picture Control to show where {0,0,0} is, and which way the unit vectors point. Is there some way to do this easily, or do I have to build them out of 3d object primitives?

(2) I'm confused by the ModelView Matrix and Projection Matrix properties. What I would like to do is reset the camera view to a certain position when the user clicks a "Reset Camera" button. It seems like one of these should work (and I'm familiar with orthogonal transformations, thank you very much ;) ), but I seem to be getting unexpected results.

Thanks!

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Aug 24 2007, 04:42 PM)

I'm finally getting around to using the 3d Picture Control for something "serious," and I feel like I'm running up against a bit of a learning curve. There are two things I'd like to do, and I feel like they should be easy:

(1) I would like to show a set of XYZ coordinate axes on my 3d Picture Control to show where {0,0,0} is, and which way the unit vectors point. Is there some way to do this easily, or do I have to build them out of 3d object primitives?

(2) I'm confused by the ModelView Matrix and Projection Matrix properties. What I would like to do is reset the camera view to a certain position when the user clicks a "Reset Camera" button. It seems like one of these should work (and I'm familiar with orthogonal transformations, thank you very much ;) ), but I seem to be getting unexpected results.

Thanks!

I don't know if this will help but...

Back in the LV 3d thread I posted some code that was based on the public beta version of the 3-d picture.

It included axis (that I created using a cone for the arrow and a long thin cylinder for the axis).

If that code still opens in the new version ( don't know PC crashed lost the source) you maybe able to start with that.

At least the official relseas version has help on the VI's the public beta had no help at all!

Ben

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Aug 24 2007, 05:17 PM)

http://forums.lavag.org/Special-LabVIEW-ve....html&st=30

post# 38

It does not open in LV 8.2.1 but it looks like the axis sub-VI are still intact.

It'll take some work. The original code was just "sand-box" code.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=2597

I found most of this missing VI's in

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.2\vi.lib\picture\3D Picture ControlOld 3D Toolkit.llb

If you get a basic axis working could you post back?

Ben