"Wired" property?

QUOTE(yen @ Aug 28 2007, 02:50 PM)

Thanks for the answer. However, I was thinking about a boolean control, so there is no choice for "invalid" values.

DR

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Aug 28 2007, 04:52 PM)

I thought about this a little while this morning (needed a break from my other project). I ended up coming up with a way that I think works, and it tested well on LV7.1.1, LV8.2.1, and LV8.5.

Let me know if anyone has a better way, or a suggestion for improving this VI:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6814''>http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6814'>http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6814 (LV7.1.1)

The reason there are three VI's here in this ZIP file is so I could test the real world behavior when the ConPane_Wired.vi is used on the BD of a VI that is being called from another VI (where one of the terminals is either "wired" or "not wired").

Run the "ConPane_Wired_TESTVI.vi" to see it in action.

I like the fact that you were able to work around this. :thumbup:

The two main issues I can see with this approach is that you would need to parse all the diagrams in the VI in order to find the subVI, not just the main diagram, and that it relies on the name, which could be duplicate (although in most cases people would probably not use duplicate names).

QUOTE(orko @ Aug 31 2007, 08:33 AM)

Not sure what you mean here. Wouldn't getting all of the subVI's from the caller's caller's BD SubVIs[] property be sufficient to find the subVI? I thought we were just trying to see if this instance of the VI that has the ConPane_Wired.vi in it has a particular terminal wired?

A.vi has B.vi in it. B.vi calls C.vi to find out if terminal t is wired. C.vi would search A.vi's block diagram for B.vi to get to it's terms[] property to find terminal t. Is there a better way?

Yes. This was one of those things that bugged me, but I wasn't able to figure out another way to do it. :P Any ideas?

The problem, I believe, is that the search only looks in the base diagram. It does not look in any structures (while loops, case structures, etc.). There is a VI in vi.lib for traversing the diagram hierarchy. That should do the trick.

On the topic of the name, would this also break if there was more than one instance of the subVI on the block diagram? Wouldn't it always stop on the first instance found, rather than search until it found the correct instance?

David

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Aug 31 2007, 02:45 PM)

Ah. Okay. That's easy to fix. Thanks!

QUOTE(dsaunders @ Aug 31 2007, 02:45 PM)

On the topic of the name, would this also break if there was more than one instance of the subVI on the block diagram? Wouldn't it always stop on the first instance found, rather than search until it found the
correct
instance?

Good.............point :headbang: