Appropriate alignment grid for FP

QUOTE(Val Brown @ Sep 2 2007, 07:05 PM)

Ah it's good to an old warhorse like me to hear how well that kind of persistence and inheritence can pay off years later..... :yes:

Hail Emacs!

Just kidding ... I decided to be adventurous and figure out how to install Linux a few years ago. Somewhere along the way I was forced to boot into text mode and edit some files in VI. After spending about 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to close the program I was convinced that the learning curve was too steep for my patience. I've always been uneasy about this though, as I get the impression it can be lightning quick once you know what you're doing.

Jaegen

• 3 months later...

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Sep 2 2007, 07:16 AM)

Seriously, though... it never ceases to amaze me the massive difference of opinion about these sorts of features between long-time users and new users of LabVIEW. To relatively new users, these are Heaven-sent productivity improvements, and they find going back to older versions without these to be cumbersome. Older users tend to view these with deep suspicion, even disgust that R&D spent time working on them, and generally see them as getting in the way of getting work done.

I wonder if it is true of other programs to this extent? Certainly I know that autocorrection in MSWord -- which works fabulously well -- gets similar reception, old vs new.

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for the "industry standard" method for using the alignment grid. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to form my own opinion as there does not seem to be a general consensus. I generally use snap to grid with the spacing set to 8 and resize to grid turned on. I guess I'll stick with that for now.

AQ's comment reminded me of the start menu in Windows. When I switched to Vista I finally decided to give the "new" start menu style that first came out with XP a try. The first thing I always did when I sat down to a new PC was change the start menu to "classic" style (Windows 95/98) and turned off the "use personalized menus" option. After 2 months of strugling with the default menu style (I had changed my XP box at home to use the default style as well) I have now happily set everything back to "classic". I gave it a try and decided I still hate it!

That said I love the new banner menu system in Office 2007. Microsoft got it right on that one...

• 3 weeks later...

You have a convert, Stephen. I enabled FP grid snapping (with the default 12) and after a getting-used-to-it period, I like it.

It doesn't play nicely with existing panels, but a quick Ctrl-# resolves that (nice "mnemonic", BTW). The only problem was getting used to it and remembering to click it again after moving freely.

QUOTE(Yen @ Jan 16 2008, 12:12 PM)

You have a convert, Stephen. I enabled FP grid snapping (with the default 12) and after a getting-used-to-it period, I like it.

It doesn't play nicely with existing panels, but a quick Ctrl-# resolves that (nice "mnemonic", BTW). The only problem was getting used to it and remembering to click it again after moving freely.

You're welcome.

I paid dearly for that mnemonic, btw. On French keyboards, the short cut is ctrl-*. When I implemented ctrl+#, we discovered that this equates to the altGR key on French keyboards, which meant any time someone tried to type an extended character (say, the Euro symbol for example) they would instead toggle the alignment grid. That took forever to track down, because the only thing the testers could see was their text not appearing, not the toggling of the grid. ;-)