Programmatically changing values of shared variables

Hacti

Hi,

My question is : Can I change the value of a shared variable programmatically (with property nodes, without hardcoding the variables) some other way then using the datasocket.

I ask this because our configuration changes from one project to another and we are trying to transfer from 7.1 to 8.2 as easily as posible, without having to rewrite our whole program.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Hacti @ Aug 31 2007, 12:35 PM)

My question is : Can I change the value of a shared variable programmatically (with property nodes, without hardcoding the variables) some other way then using the datasocket.

Hi,

I think you need the DSC toolkit for that. It can connect to a supplied shared variable and it gives you a datasocket connection reference (IIRC). You will need an URL starting with psp:\\

Joris

QUOTE(Hacti @ Aug 31 2007, 06:35 AM)

... a shared variable programmatically ...we are trying to transfer from 7.1 to 8.2 as easily as posible, without having to rewrite our whole program.

Thanks.

This does sound like a DSC app you are trying to upgrade.

To quote from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom "Hold on lady, we goin for a ride."

If so, "do not pass go, go directly to" datasockets. Only the most simple DSC constructs will mutate correctly. The URL's of the datasockets can be manipulated the way the old tag names could.

And if you are using alarming features, you may have to resort to reading values more than once to get the actual value.

If this is not a DSC app, disregard all of the above.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Aug 31 2007, 02:36 PM)

This does sound like a DSC app you are trying to upgrade.

To quote from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom "Hold on lady, we goin for a ride."

If so, "do not pass go, go directly to" datasockets. Only the most simple DSC constructs will mutate correctly. The URL's of the datasockets can be manipulated the way the old tag names could.

And if you are using alarming features, you may have to resort to reading values more than once to get the actual value.

If this is not a DSC app, disregard all of the above.

Ben

thanks, thought that might be the case.

Hacti

QUOTE(Hacti @ Aug 31 2007, 05:35 AM)

If you have a finite set of shared variables, you could create a separate subVI for each variable that sets its value and then use VI Server to select which subVI to call.

• 2 weeks later...