LAVA is on facebook

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Sep 1 2007, 07:14 AM)

Those of you that are familiar with facebook, and who isn't, can now join the LAVA group.

This is probably going to paint me as not hip, rad or sick (and I'm am, I swear!) but what's the big deal with sites like FaceBook, MySpace and LinkedIn? I know what they are and how they work, but beyond a bit of fun at college, what's the point?

QUOTE(crelf @ Sep 10 2007, 02:02 AM)

This is probably going to paint me as not hip, rad or sick (and I'm am, I swear!) but what's the big deal with sites like FaceBook, MySpace and LinkedIn? I know what they are and how they work, but beyond a bit of fun at college, what's the point?

A very good friend of mine is a professional musician, and he has heard from other people in the business that it's normal today for them to get more exposure & contacts from their MySpace pages than they ever got from their standalone websites. Many people starting out in that business have found its pointless to even do a separate site anymore. They just set up a MySpace page because that's all anyone will ever see anyway. This baffles him as much as it baffles me, but there you go.

Gentlemen (& ladies), the world has officially passed us by. We are dinosaurs, because we're still wasting our lives posting to forum sites from computers when we should be checking our MySpace messages on our phones.

All I've gotten out of LinkedIn so far is some contact refreshes from old college buddies. I'm not on Facebook, but now I'm going to go join just to be cooler than you.

I am doing a minor protest that we should take down the LAVA facebook because it makes things confusing. I've gotten into the facebook thing and it is great!!! and way better than any of the other social networking sites out there. BUT LAVA is our social networking site and now if this takes off at all, I gotta keep tabs on 2 places to stay active in the community. I know there is little to no activity right now, but we alreay have a LAVA lounge, and if LAVA on facebook gets too active, it'll be hit or miss as to where conversations happen.

Right now it's no problem. I just see impending doom.

QUOTE(NormKirchner @ Sep 11 2007, 06:07 AM)

I am doing a minor protest that we should take down the LAVA facebook because it makes things confusing... Right now it's no problem. I just see impending doom.

Can the FaceBook page be mostly just a gateway to appropriate parts of lavag.org?